Question Moving Mouse Causes Choppiness/Stuttering even with High FPS

Sep 5, 2021
Hello,
I currently own an HP Omen with a 10th gen intel i7 and an RTX 2060. About a two days ago I encountered an issue which has caused a lot of frustration.

I had booted up Valorant, and went into the practice range. I noticed that when I moved my mouse my normally smooth external 120 hz display was this time choppy, as if I were on low FPS. Although checking the FPS in the top left corner, low FPS was not the case as I was running the game at 250-300 fps.

One more important thing, THIS CHOPPINESS ONLY OCCURS WHEN I MOVE MY MOUSE. While using movement keys, the game to run smoothly.

My first solution was to try download new drivers and to update windows. Once everything was in check, I tried again. Unfortunately, the game was still choppy when moving the mouse.

My second solution was to use a different mouse. I tried two different Logitech mice and a corsair mouse, all of which produced the same choppy result.

My third solution was to change the reporting rate of the mouse. Most YouTube solutions said that if I lowered it from 1000Hz to 250Hz, that it would fix the problem. Although as you guessed it, the issue still occurred.

Fourthly, I tried playing a different game. Maybe the issue was just a Valorant thing, although in Overwatch, CS GO and basically any other game on my laptop was stuttering when using the mouse.

My next solution was to restore Windows. I used the restore option in the Windows settings to do so and reinstalled Valorant. Same thing, still choppy.

I finally did one more thing, and that was to play the game without an external display. I unplugged my monitor and loaded up the game on my laptop. The results were unexpected, the game ran at the smoothly at 300 fps but of course I could only see 60 since the panel on the Omen 15 is only 60Hz.

I know this is a huge read and I apologize. Although, if anyone has had anything similar happen to them, please let me know. My theory is landed on the fact that maybe it has to do with something regarding the HDMI display.

Anyway any help on this would be appreciated. A lot of money has gone into this laptop and setup. Thank you for your time.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you check and see what your BIOS version is for your laptop? What OS version(not edition) are you on for Windows 10? You might want to try and reinstall your chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator and see if the choppiness is alleviated. Restoring the OS doesn't do much.

Sep 5, 2021
Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply.

My BIOS version is AMI 7.05.
My windows is 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

I am not too familiar with how to reinstall chipset drivers. Would this be done through the NVIDEA graphics application? Or is this done through the command prompt or some other application.

Thank you, and I apologize for the questions I only really use computers for games and school :)

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, can you check and see what your BIOS version is for your laptop? What OS version(not edition) are you on for Windows 10? You might want to try and reinstall your chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator and see if the choppiness is alleviated. Restoring the OS doesn't do much.