Mozilla Adding Much Needed Opt-In Option for Firefox Plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Doesn't Opera already do this? Is this another stolen idea from Opera? Cause it seems like they are the true browser innovators.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]pharoahhalfdead[/nom]I have a better idea, it's called Adblock.[/citation]

Actually, it's more like Flashblock. It blocks flash until you click it. I'm all for a solution that's built in instead of having to install an addon for it.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]pharoahhalfdead[/nom]I have a better idea, it's called Adblock.[/citation]Many non-advertisement Flash objects auto play. Not a problem if you are on broadband but it's a real annoyance on dial-up.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I am reading the article and agreeing... however at the same time I note the flash advertisement video playing just to the right of the text.

No sound, but still funny.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Many non-advertisement Flash objects auto play. Not a problem if you are on broadband but it's a real annoyance on dial-up.[/citation]

It's also an annoyance when the entire page is grayed out and a advertisement pops in your face. I do believe Tomshardware does that.

richard694000

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I use adblock with fanboys filter list installed and rarely do i see any adds or pop ups. It works pretty good.But you do need a filter list or you still get some.

sam buddy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Excellent decision by Mozilla.
I hope they can do something similar for HTML5 ads and pop-ups, too, because the ad business is adapting.

[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Doesn't Opera already do this? Is this another stolen idea from Opera? Cause it seems like they are the true browser innovators.[/citation]

Don't know if they do, but it's been done for years by browser plugins, so it's not that innovative. And it's certainly not stealing, it's actually respect to their users, since you will no longer have to run a plugin for that.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation]Honestly, there should be a law against this.[/citation]

This statement seems so backwards. If advertisers use flash ads, don't use the website that hosts them and tell them why you won't use the website. The sites should pressure advertisers not to do it or drop them as advertisers.

Asking for a law to prevent open markets like advertising is such a stupid idea. Laws need to be a last resort when equilibrium functioning of whatever it is you are against isn't working without artificial constraints.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom][citation]Honestly, there should be a law against this.[/citation]This statement seems so backwards. If advertisers use flash ads, don't use the website that hosts them and tell them why you won't use the website. The sites should pressure advertisers not to do it or drop them as advertisers.Asking for a law to prevent open markets like advertising is such a stupid idea. Laws need to be a last resort when equilibrium functioning of whatever it is you are against isn't working without artificial constraints.[/citation]

Hmmmm...okay...but still...there should be a law against this. If I want ads I'll ask for them...really.

randyzie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
All you people saying noscript need to read the article, we all know about it, and the article mentions how there is addons that already do this.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i do not want this integrated into the browser level, i want it to remain at an extension level.

its easier to kill an extension than a hard wired part of the browser.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom][citation]Honestly, there should be a law against this.[/citation]This statement seems so backwards. If advertisers use flash ads, don't use the website that hosts them and tell them why you won't use the website. The sites should pressure advertisers not to do it or drop them as advertisers.Asking for a law to prevent open markets like advertising is such a stupid idea. Laws need to be a last resort when equilibrium functioning of whatever it is you are against isn't working without artificial constraints.[/citation]
At first it seems like good idea to do so, but a lot of sites rely on advertising for revenue, much like YouTube and Google.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]This statement seems so backwards. If advertisers use flash ads, don't use the website that hosts them and tell them why you won't use the website. The sites should pressure advertisers not to do it or drop them as advertisers.Asking for a law to prevent open markets like advertising is such a stupid idea. Laws need to be a last resort when equilibrium functioning of whatever it is you are against isn't working without artificial constraints.[/citation]At first it seems like good idea to do so, but a lot of sites rely on advertising for revenue, much like YouTube and Google.[/citation]
Some girls use prostitution for revenue too...doesn't mean it should be legal.

karmazyn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Many non-advertisement Flash objects auto play. Not a problem if you are on broadband but it's a real annoyance on dial-up.[/citation]

And what is this "dial-up" thing you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.