Mozilla Agrees, Update Your Graphics Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I don't know about anyone else but I get 31 fps on http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/

my laptop is Asus G73JH with ATI Radeon Mobility 5870...

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Why not have hardware acceleration turned off by default and have an easy to find option in Options that we can simple check and restart browser to turn on. Perhaps having the option next to where you can change the default homepage would be nice so that even inexperience people can be told relatively quickly on how to find it.

Most people don't go into their browser options to make changes and I would recon most of them don't update their graphics drivers either. People like me who actually do that can find the gpu acceleration option and turn it on when I'm configuring my browsers options.

There's nothing wrong with that is there? Now you don't have to ask people to update their drivers if they don't want to or don't know how to. They can simply use their browser without the fancy gpu acceleration.

G

Doesn't windows 7 get the latest drivers for your video card on its own? I do notice Since I sometimes used beta drivers from ATI that windows update will automatically roll me back to an older driver.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]doubleatheman[/nom]Doesn't windows 7 get the latest drivers for your video card on its own? I do notice Since I sometimes used beta drivers from ATI that windows update will automatically roll me back to an older driver.[/citation]
I don't trust Windows Update for drivers. So much so, that the only case I'll use a driver from it is when I can't find a manufacturer's driver anywhere. Too many times, Windows Update has broken something while trying to update drivers. Using Windows Update for drivers is kind of like using the discs that come with video cards... Most of the time, they aren't an issue, but there's a good chance that something is wrong with it, and it's far better to just get the official manufacturer's driver.

@icepick314 -- just tested using Mozilla 4.0 beta with my 5770 I get 60+ FPS on that test (they limit it to 60FPS in the test)-- tried it first with the non beta build and got 7FPS -- so you might want to try upgrading to the 4.0 beta if using Firefox !

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Getting tired of FF crashing because of Flash...and I'm running the latest everything.[/citation]
Same here.

No problem keeping my GPU drivers up to date. But flash? That's another story...

I can't use a flash version newer than 10.0 without random lockups and BSoDs.

GPU is a 9600M GT. Likely a faulty, and needs to be RMA'd.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
New drivers are not always better. I'm using a two year old driver with my HD3650 because it is the only that doesn't crash with AOE2. All the newer drivers from ATI crash with certain older games. A problem with how they handle direct draw. I'm also in a Beta program for a certain new game coming out and the older driver is the only one that doesn't crash with it.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Some people keep their drivers back. I recall when Nvidia and the lot yoinked DVD playback on video cards that did not have special Macrovision TV out hardware built in. Even with the TV out disabled it would not play DVDs on the newer driver.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Getting tired of FF crashing because of Flash...and I'm running the latest everything.[/citation]
get rid of flash :)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]doubleatheman[/nom]Doesn't windows 7 get the latest drivers for your video card on its own? I do notice Since I sometimes used beta drivers from ATI that windows update will automatically roll me back to an older driver.[/citation]
No, it gives you the newest WHQL certified driver, which might actually be pretty old.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I find most win drivers OK. There are some older onboard audio drivers that will instantly BSOD your machine, but other than that I have never had a problem and I have worked with everything from the mainstream to some pretty exotic AV editing builds.
But like Camikazi said, it is the last 'windows approved' version, which is usually 2-3 versions behind what is considered 'current'.

G

Here is a quick and easy way to update Windows Vista and Windows 7 graphics drivers without using third party software. It's so easy even I can do it. Mine didn't need updating. Asus computers do it for you automatically.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-update-vistawindows-7-drivers-instantly/

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
No problems with flash crashing here with FF 4.0b13pre x64 and Adobe Labs flash x64.

60+ fps here on a 4550. Think a more stressful benchmark is needed since a 4550 can max that one.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
i kind of liked the idea of totally taking out flash and have some thing more usable and less annoying may be html5 could help. but i know it gona take a while.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
http://www.ampercent.com/turn-on-hardware-aceleration-google-chrome/8582/

Here's how to enable HW Acceleration on Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts