Mozilla Making Firefox 4 to be ''Super-Duper Fast''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
What is the current trend of stripping out USEFUL things and adding worthless fluff? The home button and the stop button get used (ever try to load a broken page?), but an extra tab open full time to the home page seems silly.

This is like replacing the side mirrors on an automobile with pinwheels... OHHH SHINEYY!!!!

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
You can just hit the escape key while a page is loading. Same effect as clicking stop.
Personally I wish they'd simply fix some of the long standing bugs like the broken icc color profile support. FF Advertises that they support icc color profiles, but when you get down to it - only v2 (which none of the software I use writes anymore. seems everything's been v4 for years).

Fix your bugs (or at least stop advertising features that don't work).

And what's with one of the most popular browsers copying from one of the least popular? Seems odd to me. I very much like the look of FF.. if only they'd fix some of the bugs.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Rhynn[/nom]LUDICROUS SPEED....GO!!!![/citation]

Brilliant! + infinity

The constantly open home tab is the most retarded thing I've ever heard! if you want to go to you're "home" page just have it set up so when you open a new tab it goes there, this seems like it's more a pr update then they're actually doing anything useful.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
the company has opted instead for a home tab that cannot be closed.

I wonder if some guy said "hey how about we make users NOT be able to close the home page?" and everyone went "wow, genius!".

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
One major problem I see is the tabs on the top of the location bar. It is thorougly counterintuitive to have to mouse over the location bar every single time you want to change tabs. Tabs belong as close to the content as possible, and the inability to change this is one major reason that I have never even considered using Chrome.

In 14 years on the internet I have never seen the need for a home button. That's what bookmarks are for. Stop is always useful for pages that won't finish loading because some remote image or ad script doesn't work right.

The concept of a home tab you can't close is BS.

linuxguyit

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
I honestly do not exactly like the look of Chrome and I really hope that there will be an ability to go back to the classic theme. I do not care if it is addon or anything. Anyway, I find that Firefox can be just as fast as Chrome's startup with the "Remeber my History for __ days" under Privacy in Preferences/Options and
changing it to 3 days instead of 90. Firefox is plenty fast with that enabled.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
(also one thing that I miss in firefox, be able to close a tab that I don't want open without clicking that tab and then close it, chrome and IE have that)
You can already do this. Just middle click any tab to close it. And with that, you can remove the space wasting close buttons on every tab.

Also, middle clicking any empty space on the tab bar will reopen your most recently closed tabs.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]You can already do this. Just middle click any tab to close it. And with that, you can remove the space wasting close buttons on every tab.Also, middle clicking any empty space on the tab bar will reopen your most recently closed tabs.[/citation]

Yeah, you can middle click the tab or just hit the close "X" on the right side of the tab...? Why would you need to open the tab before closing it when the close button is right on the tab at all times?

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
omfg, tell me that we can choose whether we want our FF to look like chrome or not. These are just stupid and unnecessary UI changes.

and wtf, cant they at least put the tabs in teh title bar to save a bit more vertical screenspace like chrome at least, if they're going to rip-off all teh stupid parts of chromes interface they might as well take one of the few good things. I guess i'll still need to use the "hide caption/title bar plus" addon.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Um, the Chrome interface isn't that way for the look, it's so you have the most screen area for your pages. How is everyone missing this? I'm interested in the page content and the ability to navigate with the least wasted space.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I would suspend judgment on this until it was released. Looking forward on the improvements behind. Hopefully, this won't crash that much just like when 3.5 is released (which I think shoved a lot of users off to Chrome).

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Firefox is so much less stable than Chrome right now. It crashes far too often, even with just the basic add-ons. Now that WOT works on Chrome, I am sticking with it for general browsing. FF is all but a backup browser for me now.

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Do they think none of us use the home and stop button? What is with companies today fixing things that aren't broken and adding useless content?

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]STOP concentrating on SPEED. It'll go as fast as user internet allows, that's it. Instead, concentrate on BUGS and SECURITY[/citation]

Firefox already has the top 3 toughest securities among the browsers that are out there. One thing that it does need is start up time and display time improved. The other browsers are whoppin' its ass in those departments. Also when they note speed, they aren't talking about making your connection faster, it is the processing/load times on your computer itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS