Mozilla Plans to Drop Version Numbers from Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
This is WAY worse than their marketing scheme of quickly updating version numbers. I agree that they needed to move to a faster update schedule. But call it FF4.1 not FF5.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I can imagine their creative meetings:

Guy 1: "Let's rapidly update version numbers!"
Guy 2: "That may be hard to keep track of"
Guy 1: "Good point, we'll remove them all together"
Guy 2: "Then how are people going to know what version they are using?"
Guy 1: "We will name them after Animals!"
Guy 2: "Like Apple?"
Guy 1: "That's a fruit, dumbass!"
Guy 2: *facepalm*

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
This is just as if not even more stupid than doing the Google Chrome thing adding a version number every 6 weeks. Goddamn, what the hell is wrong with you people? Who are you hiring as product manager because they need fired.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Am I the only person who thinks this makes sense?
If Firefox is going to have a fast release cycle, why keep incrementing the numbers everywhere. Why not just have the three versions like they do, and use the release date as a version number.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I agree they should drop the version numbers if they plan on releasing a ton of updates, would you want a company like AVG to have a version number for each virus def update? same thing no? Maybe they should call it FF2011 ;)

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
They could just give a release date for certain features instead of a specific version. Of course, this will mean that they'd have to keep things running on schedule. But it could work!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Sigh. I'll give them one more "version" before it's time to dump them. If they don't bring er' down to a 50 meg foot print like I get with IE then so sad panda....

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Firefox 3.6 is still running smooth for me.
As an added measure incase I never need to reinstall my OS, I'm keeping a backup of the v3.6 install file.

I got a feeling Mozila will eventualy remove it all together and force people into using their latest...if thats the case I guess Chrome or IE would be my new browser.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
This is a brilliant idea. For people who update all the time and have the latest version of FF it make no difference if it is called 4.1, 5, 2012, XIX or whatever. All it matters is that you have FF and its latest version.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]what next - the address bar? Idiots.[/citation]
I thought that idea was Google's?

[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]I got a feeling Mozila will eventualy remove it all together and force people into using their latest...if thats the case I guess Chrome or IE would be my new browser.[/citation]

Er... Chrome already does this, and has for a long time.

Personally I don't think this change is necessary. Most people don't really know what version they're running until they get hit with one of those first run web pages that tell them all the latest gimmicks with their newly updated browser.

enterco

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
If removal of the version numbers help using extensions and no longer breaks compatibility, it a good idea. Otherwise, not.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm still perfectly happy with how Firefox behaves, the GUI changes (after I've tweaked them heavily), etc. What's most annoying is this insecure design to keep up with Chrome by using artificially large version number jumps, which would otherwise just be routine point releases, and now hiding them from the about dialogue is just asinine.

G

This reminds me of AMD when it was losing the battle with Intel over CPU speeds. So it decided to change its model numbers to not reflect at what speed they ran at. I think it was a desperate move for AMD to cover up its failings in developing its CPU's and I think Firefox is doing the same.

cornandbeans

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
WTF!? I have been using Firefox for 3 years but I have been disappointed recently. Version number jump (they should use 4.0.5 for minimal update then 4.1, 4.2) and now, dropping them? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.