MS Viewer on Win 98

Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look for
this to reinstall?

Thank you

Did you ever have it? AFAIK, Image Viewer is new in Windows XP. In Windows
98/98SE/ME (and, I think 2K) the default image viewer for JPEG and a few
others is Internet Explorer. If you want to use a different one, you're
talking about an app that must be added on. Many machines come pre-loaded
with several other apps, typically including a handful of image viewers.
Some are provided by Microsoft Plus! packages, Office and Works Suites,
etc., and many more are from third parties, but I don't recall any named,
precisely, "Microsoft Image Viewer".

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
> for
> this to reinstall?
>
> Thank you

"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
for

Try the utility free from www.irfanview.com
which most MS NG mavens prefer.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>

| Did you ever have it? AFAIK, Image Viewer is new in Windows XP. In Windows
| 98/98SE/ME (and, I think 2K) the default image viewer for JPEG and a few
| others is Internet Explorer. If you want to use a different one, you're
| talking about an app that must be added on. Many machines come pre-loaded
| with several other apps, typically including a handful of image viewers.
| Some are provided by Microsoft Plus! packages, Office and Works Suites,
| etc., and many more are from third parties, but I don't recall any named,
| precisely, "Microsoft Image Viewer".
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

WinME does have a predecessor version of what WinXP has. One just has to "customize the
folder" with the "image preview". Then you can; play a slideshow of graphic files in the
folder, zoom in, zoom out, rotate and print a graphic or make its view full page. All
within the Explorer Folder View. Win2K has a similar facility but can not do a slideshow of
the graphic files within the folder.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Now that you mention it, I *do* remember that. Out of all my clients, I have
exactly one ME machine in the mix, and she just handed that down to her
husband and got a new XP machine, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
>
> | Did you ever have it? AFAIK, Image Viewer is new in Windows XP. In
> Windows
> | 98/98SE/ME (and, I think 2K) the default image viewer for JPEG and a few
> | others is Internet Explorer. If you want to use a different one, you're
> | talking about an app that must be added on. Many machines come
> pre-loaded
> | with several other apps, typically including a handful of image viewers.
> | Some are provided by Microsoft Plus! packages, Office and Works Suites,
> | etc., and many more are from third parties, but I don't recall any
> named,
> | precisely, "Microsoft Image Viewer".
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User
> |

> WinME does have a predecessor version of what WinXP has. One just has to
> "customize the
> folder" with the "image preview". Then you can; play a slideshow of
> graphic files in the
> folder, zoom in, zoom out, rotate and print a graphic or make its view
> full page. All
> within the Explorer Folder View. Win2K has a similar facility but can not
> do a slideshow of
> the graphic files within the folder.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
for
> this to reinstall?
>
> Thank you

Start > settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

Chose Windows Setup

Image Viewer is installed via Accessories > Imaging

No.

Change your viewer to something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic
Viewer:
http://www.irfanview.com/

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:24:55 -0700, "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com>
wrote:

>Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
>Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look for
>this to reinstall?
>
>Thank you

Thanks to all of you. I have downloaded the irfanview and it is working
fine.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> No.
>
> Change your viewer to something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic
> Viewer:
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:24:55 -0700, "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
> >Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
for
> >this to reinstall?
> >
> >Thank you

Hello,

"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
> for
> this to reinstall?

IMHO this is good alternative::
http://www.winplanet.com/file/11713.htm

Cheers, Roman

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:03:44 -0700, "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com>
wrote:

>"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
>> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
>for
>> this to reinstall?
>>
>> Thank you
>
>Start > settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
>
>Chose Windows Setup
>
>Image Viewer is installed via Accessories > Imaging

That is not Microsoft Image Viewer.
On my Win98 SE, that will install Kodak Imaging.

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:03:44 -0700, "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
> >> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could
look
> >for
> >> this to reinstall?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >
> >Start > settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
> >
> >Chose Windows Setup
> >
> >Image Viewer is installed via Accessories > Imaging
> >

> That is not Microsoft Image Viewer.
> On my Win98 SE, that will install Kodak Imaging.

I didn't say that it was, or intend to suggest it.

You will note that the OP wasn't sure what used to be installed.
but as she uses 98, it couldn't have been Microsoft Image Viewer,
so I discounted that part of her post in favor of pointing her
to the default image viewer for 98, which is,
as you stated, Kodak's product.