Msata ssd freezing whole system

Pat22

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
recently got my y580 and also a crucial m4 256gb msata ssd. popped it in, initialized . . . worked fine for a couple days. I installed steam and games on it for now ( until I figure out how to clone OS onto it ) and I randomly get freezes in games . . . I can still hear sound but anything I do just "not responding" and have to hard reset. starting to think this was a big waste of money. when I tried updating the firmware from the crucial website the exe file wouldn't even start. im an ssd noob and at this point im totally clueless as to how to fix this.

edit: got the firmware to update but still same problem. game froze after about 1 min of gameplay and had to hard restart . . .

TROMANIA

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
I had the exact same problem as you and I fixed it. The problem was that I hadn't installed the SSD disk properly. I opened up my computer and changed the cable and I plugged the SSD disk in another place. To be honest, I didn't know what exactly I was doing, but I changed the way the SSD disk was connected and now it works fine. No more freezes!

USAFRet

Titan

6 years later....
Please don't resurrect old threads.