MSFT CEO: Apple Products Too Expensive, Android Too Wild

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]
My cousin from Russia came to visit me in America for summer. He bought about 10 iPhone 4's for 3 thousand dollars and I unlocked them. He went back to Russia and made about 8 thousand dollars.
That is called smuggling.[/citation]:lol: HAHA! That made me laugh! +1.

It sounds plausible, but I guess it would depend on what Russian law considers smuggling (maybe like paying taxes). I believe there is a moral issue with unlocking subsidized (by cellular companies like Verizon), and I guess even more so with selling them at a profit, even if it's just partially from the subsidy which allowed you not to pay full price for the phone. (I don't meant to be a downer, but think about it.)

G

Nothing wrong with being "wild". Part of the reasons many of us love PC so much is precisely because it is "wild", and it is open. Sure, malware and compatibility on PC are some of the downside, but we love the "wild" ecosystem so much that we feel that is a minor price to pay. We dislike the fact that iOS deems DOSBox is not worthy to exist in their ecosystem, and we like the way PC always welcome all sort of applications to be developed on it, with no restrictions whatsoever.

So when is Windows 8 gonna be like Android "wild" ecosystem?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I almost bought the wife a windows 7 phone right aout the time it was released that they would nto be updaed to windows 8 phone... i mam now geting her another droid, probably the nexus 4 .. keep up the buisness practices m$ and scratch your heads as to why your customers do not stick around

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]That is called smuggling.[/citation]

If he doesn't declare it or there's a law against it. Both of these I don't know in his jurisdiction is the case or not, but it would have to meet at least those 2 criteria.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
You get what you pay for sometimes and I would rather spend some extra and get an Apple product any day over anything your crappy OS is on MS.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Windows has been too expensive for over 20 years and too wild (full of viruses and security holes)... Microsoft has no shame! No shame at all!!!

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Windows has been too expensive for over 20 years and too wild (full of viruses and security holes)... Microsoft has no shame! No shame at all!!![/citation]
$50 isn't expensive. I personally got Windows 8 for $16. There's lots of legit ways to get it for free too. Oh yeah and I've never had any issues with Windows, besides the period when I was learning it for the first time (in other words, user error)

G

Chewie, the Type 1 hypervisor is a technology that runs the computer like it is one or more virtual machines (VM)! the OSs run inside the VM and the OSs think that they have a PC all to themselves but in reality they do not! There are Type 1 hypervisors that run on smart phones on laptops, and have been on servers for a while now! In fact, VMs have been around for longer than M$, and have been run on IBM mainframes and other computers! All of the current Microprocessors have virtualization instructions built into them x86, ARM, Power pc, etc. These allow the Type 1 hyporvisor to create an abstracted hardware/software layer that is called a VM under the control of the Type 1 hyporvisor! PCs that have a Type 1 hyporvisor, allow the user to create, with a few mouse clicks, a new VM, and the install any OS onto the VM. Users can and do run multiple OS at the same time, Wnidows in one VM, and linux on another VM, at the sams time on the same computer, without being chained to any one OS!

G

Yes Ballmer, get your damn dirty stinking hands off of my Bare Metal, because the only thing that can touch my Bare Metal, is a Type 1 Hypervisor!

G

I'll take My PC with a type 1 hyporvisor and run any OS available for install on my PC, and each OS will run under My type 1 hyporvisor's VM. The type 1 hyporvisor will controll the hardware and the drvers! The OSs running under the type 1 hyporvisor's Virtual Machines will think they are the only OS installed and running, but they will be running on the virturalized PC, under complete controll of the type 1 hyporvisor!
Abandon Hope All Ye Ballmers and minions, of ever controlling the virturalized zone!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mhawk13[/nom]As long as they ship with Internet Explorer in it I won't be buying![/citation]

Here's a simple solution:

1. Download some other browser.

2. Install it.

3. Don't use IE.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Here's a simple solution:
1. Download some other browser.
2. Install it.
3. Don't use IE.[/citation]A good (and obvious) idea which you were nice enough to point out. Though I wonder if there are other browsers availalble already for Windows Phone (8) OS.

That aside though, I think IE on the WP would be really different from the IE on PC's. I wouldn't know though. But if ever, disliking the IE name regardless of other (more important) factors is just silly, I would say. (This one's not directed particularly to you ABD.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.