MSFT Patents Dual, Wired and Wireless Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]Why not just have it be wireless, and let you charge it to plug it in while playing?This seems overly complex to me[/citation]
Exactly this
It seems pointless unless you know solar flares are about to knock out your wireless

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Well, it's a continuation of the 2004 application, so it's not like it was JUST submitted. My guess is it's another defensive patent to block the NPEs that have sued sony, nintendo and ms in the past over fairly obvious designs hoping for a settlement (Fenner Investments, Eleven Engineering, Immerson, Anascape and so on and on and on). MS would never use this to go after Sony or Nintendo because: 1 - there's plenty of prior art that any company with decent lawyers could use, 2 - it's generally not a good use of capital to sue someone else who also has lots of capital on a case you'd be unlikely to win (see 1), 3 - if they sue sony or nintendo it'll be likely they'd come back with their own patent infringement suits because, as well all know, there's nothing new under the sun (man is just a hairless ape who figured out round things roll and how to put fire in a box and most everything invented has been permutations on those ideas :p). This stuff is as silly as the patent on "slide to unlock" (heck, the Predator had "slide to unlock" on his wrist computer self destruct dealie when he tried to kill Arnie).

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]Why not just have it be wireless, and let you charge it to plug it in while playing?This seems overly complex to me[/citation]
Already patented.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I think the next big thing will be an external charge/wired station that can transmit over longer distances having a true wired power source. Though I am not sure about delays of having a separate station to receive and then retransmit to the console itself. Still though, that is what I would want.

scione

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
It seems like what microsoft has with its controllers being wireless but being able to be plugged in with a usb connector

NathanTR

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
The wireless controllers for the 360 have done this since launch. The controller changes power source when plugged into a USB port, but it still transmits in wireless mode, uninterrupted.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
This is just a way for them to charge you the same amount of money for a controller whether you want wired or wireless.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]NathanTR[/nom]The wireless controllers for the 360 have done this since launch. The controller changes power source when plugged into a USB port, but it still transmits in wireless mode, uninterrupted.[/citation]

Yeah, but that's saying it can send the game data over the wire while plugged in.

The only thing that this stops (if you like it going over the wire anyway) is the ability to plug the controller into a closer laptop for power. You can even not use any sort of battery pack that way. For some reason people are surprised when I do this...

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
didn't the 360 and PS3 come out with this from the beginning? and how long ago was this patent? that is the diagram for the original X-box.

mrmez

Splendid
Yeah, what i was thinking... Just like a ps3 controller.

BUT WAIT!!!! You wont have to pause the game!
So now you can race your racing car game, get up, pickup your cable, plug in into the controller, all while shaving a full second off your lap time and most importantly, not having to waste a critical 10 seconds of gaming time!

Jazza2400

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
[citation][nom]lukeeu[/nom]Already patented.[/citation]

Was the first TV remote control ever patented? Or having to stop changing channels to pull the back off use a corner of the plastic back bit to wedge between the batteries and throw in a new set only to find out it uses AAA and in your third draw down you only have AA so you find another remote in the house that uses AAA and use the batteries out of that hoping no one notices.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Lol with that tiny cable?[/citation]

so buy the six ten or 30 foot mini usb to usb cable. Shit i have a 12 foot cable that i bought at frys.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
So, they finally figured out that you don't have to hard-wire a wire (no pun intended) into the controller? Let's see.. we can already unplug network cables, audio cables HDMI cables, power cables...

So it's taken them HOW long to catch up?

Status
Not open for further replies.