MSFT Selling 7 Copies of Windows 7 Every Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

steddy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Let's see... If they sell 7 copies per second for 7 years (considering what happened to xp, who knows?), they will sell...um...*pulls out calculator* 1.5 billion copies (1546322400 to be exact).

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Windows 7 was a homerun for MSFT after a spectacular failure of Vista. MSFT certainly seems to alternative between flops and hits with the releases of Windows, I suspect in large part because people aren't interested in upgrading their OS every 2.5 years (Windows 8 is planned for release sometime in 2012). Unless there is some compelling reason to upgrade that is readily apparent to corporate IT managers, Windows 8 is probably not going to be as well received--even if it's well engineered.

The key issue for the longevity of Windows 7 is whether or not they extend support beyond January 2015. MSFT maintained XP support (and even sales) for as long as it did only because of intense pressure from its corporate customers.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
If this report is to be believed, then PT Barnum was wrong. There's not a sucker born every minute. There's apparently seven suckers born each second.

G

7 computer users every second that want to have the most they can get from their purchase.

The majority of software in existence is made for Windows systems not OSX. I would not shoot myself in the foot and reduce the capability of my machine and pay the premium that Apple expects for their products. I only wish more companies could produce laptops as aesthetically pleasing as the Mac Books

At several hacker competitions now OSX has been shown to be less secure than Win. The only reason there are more viruses etc for Win is that cyber criminals and weekend CompSci students with a grudge are actively targeting Win machines.

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
my GOD thats incredible!

I thought no WAY are they selling more than 6 copies per second! I mean, clearly 5 per second is the gold standard for new operating systems - but SEVEN??? INCONCEIVABLE!

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Actually I would think that any of the promotional licensing that was given out (house party, conventions, etc.) would be counted in their total as these items were were budgeted. Technically there was a cost associated, a payment made (most likely from one account to another), and an official license issued.

The same should especially remain true regarding licenses distributed to partners, OEM's, volume licensing and bulk sales. A "sold" license is what it is, a sold license.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mediv42[/nom]my GOD thats incredible!I thought no WAY are they selling more than 6 copies per second! I mean, clearly 5 per second is the gold standard for new operating systems - but SEVEN??? INCONCEIVABLE![/citation]

They don't call it Windows "Seven" for nothing...

Okay, I'll shut up now.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I wonder what constitutes as a sale. OEMs buy in bulk.[/citation]

Who cares? Do you judge OS X sales by the box, or rather, by the upgrade? A purchased copy is a purchased copy, no matter how it was obtained.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Arethel[/nom]They don't call it Windows "Seven" for nothing... Okay, I'll shut up now.[/citation]

It would be more amazing if it were 7 copies of windows 7 every 7 seconds. Yes, I know it would be less, but at least it would be more fun to say.

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]But this can't be! OS X is the best most user friendly most secure operating system ever! It must be outselling Windows.[/citation]
And for years AOL was the number one ISP In the U.S. I am sure that means it was the highest quality product. Sales do not equate to being the best.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]It would be more amazing if it were 7 copies of windows 7 every 7 seconds. Yes, I know it would be less, but at least it would be more fun to say.[/citation]

... Wouldn't they say one a second?

I'd agree with Walt526 on his ideas. Especially with the price of upgrading, I know I personally don't want to dump that much into just an operating system every 2.5ish years. I already throw enough what with hardware upgrades.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
I live in India and of late there's an ad coming on TV about Windows 7, saying how to save in 7 seconds with a new copy of windows.Now I understand the significance.

G

@Kelavarus:

I installed my OS 2002, I still get new security patches and feature upgrades and on top of that I have over 100000 software packages which my OS provider sees to is compatible with my OS and that they work as they should and I don't have to surf to any shady web sites to download those.
I have cloned the data to new hard drive, I have upgraded hardware and still the OS works flawlessly.

rakizzta

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
that's a lot of money..money..money...maybe its about time they share it for free..especially in third world countries like mine..

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]steddy[/nom]Let's see... If they sell 7 copies per second for 7 years (considering what happened to xp, who knows?), they will sell...um...*pulls out calculator* 1.5 billion copies (1546322400 to be exact).[/citation]
Shouldn't it be (1545264000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS