MSFT: Windows 7 is Fastest Selling OS of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Although I don't like Microsoft I have to give them kudos on "7".
It is fast, stable, and rock-solid. Running 7 Ultimate right now and it is a good OS, and far more intuitive than any other version of Windows before it.

With Microsoft lowering the upgrade and full version prices of "7" compared to Vistas' previous pricing schemes, tossing in discounts for students and families with "home bundles", and giving a wider-birth of usage for RC users, its likely that we will see Windows 7 overshadow XP in terms of popularity.

pcxt21

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
As someone who's been booting Windows 7 since Beta. I can defiantly believe that it's selling that well.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Too pricey for me, retail is not cheap and if you want to have virtual pc you have to spend almost 100$ more. Very disappointing for that but the OS itself is great.

G

It's probably flying off shelves because all those suckers that got stuck with Vista are desperate for a new OS.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
[citation][nom]bgrngod[/nom]It's probably flying off shelves because all those suckers that got stuck with Vista are desperate for a new OS.[/citation]

Most agree with you on that one

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Windows 7 FTW! Really though, the ONLY reason you NEED to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 is if XP cannot support your software. This will happen, considering it came out in '02. If you're running Vista now, upgrading to Windows 7 should be a no brainer. I couldn't tell you how many times I dealt with crashes in Vista and had to be much more cautious about memory usage because Vista was just plain bloated. Of course though, if you just like to see newer things, Windows 7 looks SLIGHTLY better looking than Windows Vista on the outside. There's a MUCH more visable change between Windows XP and Windows Vista (or even Windows 7). The XPM feature is pretty sweet, too, although I don't have much use for it. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 64-bit.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
most of their sales are from new computers that come with windows. the prices for good performing has come down and thus many people are buying new computers, and since they come with windows 7, windows 7 sees tons of sales

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]naterandrews[/nom]Although I don't like Microsoft I have to give them kudos on "7".It is fast, stable, and rock-solid. Running 7 Ultimate right now and it is a good OS, and far more intuitive than any other version of Windows before it. With Microsoft lowering the upgrade and full version prices of "7" compared to Vistas' previous pricing schemes, tossing in discounts for students and families with "home bundles", and giving a wider-birth of usage for RC users, its likely that we will see Windows 7 overshadow XP in terms of popularity.[/citation]

Agreed. I don't like Microsoft as well. But I don't like apple as well. So what can i do? Only windows can run everything compared to mac and win 7 is the best by far, so im gonna vote for this one.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
My #1 annoyance with windows 7 is the stupid auto arranges files/folders/pictures. The ability to drag a file/folder/picture to a new location in windows XP has been replaced an mandatory auto arrange. While there’s maybe a hundred choices to set how you’d like them arranged...by month, day, rating, tag, name, time, size… there’s NOT a toggle to turn auto arrange OFF.. And simply let me drag my files file/folder/picture to whatever location my little heart desires.

[citation][nom]naterandrews[/nom]Although I don't like Microsoft I have to give them kudos on "7".It is fast, stable, and rock-solid. Running 7 Ultimate right now and it is a good OS, and far more intuitive than any other version of Windows before it.[/citation]
The interface itself hasn't changed much from Vista, so I'm having a hard time seeing how it's much more intuitive than Vista. I love 7 (and I'm running it right now), but far too many people bash Vista without having a clue how well it can run if set up properly on a decent computer.

[citation][nom]bgrngod[/nom]It's probably flying off shelves because all those suckers that got stuck with Vista are desperate for a new OS.[/citation]
Vista was and still is an excellent OS. It wasn't that way in the beginning, but those times are long since gone.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Er... no... Vista still runs like crap. Win7 out of the box is easily better. Running vista with anything less than 2GB is a problem - even cheap $300 PCs have 2~3GB of RAM.

Running Win7 on a 1GB PC is a much better experience than vista.

I've gone back to XP (From Win7rc) since MS has canceled their Family Pack. I don't have $300 to blow... and spending $100~110 per PC is not worth it. At best, I may go to Win7 on my next upgrade after USB 3.0 & SATA3 is native in chipsets .

That said... the clean install of XP on my intel Quad is fine, but not as good as Win7 in many areas. But some of my software doesn't like Win7 either. Oh well.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Win7 is running great for me. I've bought 4 copies since the pre-order began. I still have 3 computers with XP and 2 with Vista. (2 of these are at my office, the other 7 are between myself, my wife and my daughter)

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Good operating system. Still using the Win 7 RC. Unsure about shelling out the dough for the retail version. I'm sure I'll break down sooner or later... probably right around that day in March when I'm forced to do so.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Vista only runs like crap because you have a subpar computer or fail at maintaining a PC. I have Vista premium x64 and it's nearly flawless.

Windows 7 will be my next purchase. :)

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Vista feels like an agonizing cow dragging an aircraft carrier anchor through the desert, and that's with 4 gigs of ram and a quad core processor. And before someone says ram is cheap and I should get more, not everyone lives in a rich country like the US, in some countries people only make a few hundred dollars a month or less. I always found that 'anyone can get at least 8 gigs of ram nowadays' comment very presumptuous and ignorant. Seven on the other hand accomodates nicely to a netbook with 1 gig of ram or the quad core with 4 gigs, I find this very convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.