MSI’s Gaming Laptop Lineup Gets Makeover, Nvidia Pascal And More

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
"MSi's website is showing MXM GPUs. Good news to those of us with 870m-980m based GT72 models! Hopefully MSi will have some 1070 and 1080 upgrade kits on the horizon."

The good news: They are.

The bad news: According to Xotic and MSI and numerous articles that might be using the same sources the MXM used for the desktop equivalent GPU's are not the same as the ones with the "m", i.e. 870m-980m designation. MSI also just started using a new power adapter for their 1080's that needs 2 bricks to OC or use at full power. I'm don't know if its compatible with any previous versions.

I sunk about 4k into a GT80 SLI-253 2qe model. It mostly rocks, but I'm really pissed because both MSI and Xotic stated there would be MXM support for 2 years. That was a year ago and 2 or 3 generations of MSI laptops since. . . .

Bottom line is don't believe any hype from MSI regarding GPU upgrades. Their solution is sell it, abandon it, make a new model. These things are still like other laptops, you can upgrade the storage & ram but don't plan on any real support for anything else.

MSI NB-PM

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Thank you for your continuous support!
For our current GT series products with GTX 8XX, GTX 9XX graphic cards,
a direct upgrade to the Pascal graphics is NOT recommended.
The Pascal graphics has huge improvement in terms of performance, thus it also requires different motherboard design/power/thermal configurations.
For the best next generation graphic experience, please consider our new products, and enjoy the tremendous performance enhancements!

subtraho

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
So "Newer GT72 models featuring the GTX970M/GTX980M in their turn will be upgradable to future graphics generations" was an outright lie?

Thanks MSI. You won't be seeing my money for any of your "new products".

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
"Thank you for your continuous support!
For our current GT series products with GTX 8XX, GTX 9XX graphic cards,
a direct upgrade to the Pascal graphics is NOT recommended.
The Pascal graphics has huge improvement in terms of performance, thus it also requires different motherboard design/power/thermal configurations.
For the best next generation graphic experience, please consider our new products, and enjoy the tremendous performance enhancements! "

Sales pitch? Good luck with that. "Continuous Support?" You mean like the continuous graphics solution support that MSi promised it's customers before they purchased their multi-thousand dollar GT72 and GT80 laptops? That kind of continuous support?

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by "NOT recommended." Does that mean "it's not possible no matter how you dice it?" Or does it mean "why spend a thousand dollars upgrading to the latest graphics solution that we promised you would happen, when you could just spend thousands more for a few extra trivial enhancements?"

I was told by multiple MSi reps, in various departments as well as by sales literature, and your own website that these units would maintain their graphics solution upgrade ability at least into the next generation. I purchased mine and promoted many sales of the GT72 and GT80s based on that information. I will likely have to answer for that sooner than later, and will be more than happy to pass that along to MSi.

I highly recommend that you clarify your stance on this issue, instead of using an indirect sales pitch. I think I will need to unload my unit, and start shopping around for a new flavor. Think I'll keep the "stars" out of my eyes this time around, and the next.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I'm in a similar boat as you @naturesninja. On a number of sites I advocated for these believing the same lies. I wonder how hard it is to get a class action suit started over misrepresentation.

Like anyone who's ever argued against them, yes its cheaper to build/upgrade a desktop but we were led to believe we'd have a portable solution with much of those same options. Felt sure enough about it that I sunk $4k into this and now stuck with a nice laptop that will be out of date like any other very soon. I didn't mind the money until it became evident that I'm now stuck with something can't ever really change.

I supported MSI for over 10 years in buying MOBO's, and graphics cards. Loved every one of them. I think those in charge of the laptop dept. are laughing all the way to the bank, all the while MSI's reputation will begin to spiral down the toilet. It has with me. . .never again with them.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Funny thing, that quote was almost to the week/day when I ordered my GT80.

squirrelonfire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I've been trying to get the GS63VR for $1549 at Bestbuy but it's sold out. Frys and Microcenter do not carry them and so I can't even get a price match. Newegg and Xotic both sell it at $1799. So now I have to wait for everybody to start stocking this. It's so frustrating.

Serjape

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Please contact me if you are interested in a suit against MSI. They have indeed misrepresented the upgradeablility of their product. The relief the suit members will be seeking is complete refund or exchange to newer model as . There are of course limitations. Also, forward any and all additional proof of representations by MSI reps to ccase01@gmail.com

Serjape

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
If anyone is interested in joining our lawsuit against MSI please contact me ccase01@gmail.com. MSI has indeed misrepresented the upgradeablility of many of their product lines. The relief we are seeking for those under the impression they could upgrade their GPU to the newer lines are a complete refund of purchase price including shipping or a replacement of equivalent newer model that includes upgraded newer GPU model.

Including any references to promises made in any forums, sites, sales orders etc by MSI and/or their reps.
That k you

Chris Case

Status
Not open for further replies.