Question MSI 2060 RGB and temperature ?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi
i have msi 2060 6gb 2fan and i guess it has a rgb but i dont know how to turn it on. i see a wire goes to msi brand logo ... how can i do that?

also this gpu runs at 80°C + 93°C gpu hotspot .... basically it shows two temperature ...
is this OK or should i go gir thermalpaste change?

now it runs at:
gpuZ 2nd tab
GPU clock 1920MHz (spike ) but then its around 1430
memory clock 1750
(I'm not sure if its OC or Downclock)

GpuZ first tab:
Gpu clock 1365
memory 1750
boost 1710

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Can you include images to the port you're seeing on the GPU's PCB? As for your GPU, can you pass on an URL to the card? MSI have a couple of RTX2060's in their portfolio.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-2060-VENTUS-GP-OC

my card really like this one. and it seems there is no RGB on this card. but how about those temperature i mentioned?

are those temperature scary? if not why GPU clock goes down? i guess 1430 is Downclock i'm not really sure if its normal

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
The Ventus was actually the lowest product in MSI's product stack of GPU's. Seeing those temps, I'm curious, what is the make and model of your chassis and the internal fan layout/orientation of said fans in your case?
what is the chassis and where can i find it?

are those temperature high?

my case if Opened i side panel and i didnt use the door to close it, so i dont think Fans matter, right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what is the chassis and where can i find it?

are those temperature high?

my case if Opened i side panel and i didnt use the door to close it, so i dont think Fans matter, right?
1)Chassis = case. Knowing exactly what it is helps.

2)Who can say, when the full picture hasn't been laid bare? So far, there's a few puzzle pieces lying about.

3)Fans do matter. That cooler exhausts its waste heat out the back AND the front. The latter seems to conflict with front intake case fans.
I imagine that cooler would be more effective in chimney style cases or models that do away with front ventilation for side ventilation instead.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
1)Chassis = case. Knowing exactly what it is helps.

2)Who can say, when the full picture hasn't been laid bare? So far, there's a few puzzle pieces lying about.

3)Fans do matter. That cooler exhausts its waste heat out the back AND the front. The latter seems to conflict with front intake case fans.
I imagine that cooler would be more effective in chimney style cases or models that do away with front ventilation for side ventilation instead.

then my case is something generic without any specific model. But its big and support ATX motherboard. there is one big fan i guess 120mm on back sending air out .... and 2 small fan on the door of the case which is not there yet!

the fan of gpu facing down with 10-15 CM empty space (my psu is on top) and my cpu fan facing to back of the case and its a cooler master V200 or sth like that which throw the air to that 120mm fan . that push it out. so i guess its fine.

still have no idea about if this temperature is normal, should i do anything or not

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
then my case is something generic without any specific model. But its big and support ATX motherboard. there is one big fan i guess 120mm on back sending air out .... and 2 small fan on the door of the case which is not there yet!

the fan of gpu facing down with 10-15 CM empty space (my psu is on top) and my cpu fan facing to back of the case and its a cooler master V200 or sth like that which throw the air to that 120mm fan . that push it out. so i guess its fine.

still have no idea about if this temperature is normal, should i do anything or not
1)Post some pictures - WITHOUT the side panel. You must use an image hosting site to post images here, like imgur.com.

2)What are you doing/running to get this:
"also this gpu runs at 80°C + 93°C gpu hotspot"

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
1)Post some pictures - WITHOUT the side panel. You must use an image hosting site to post images here, like imgur.com.

2)What are you doing/running to get this:
"also this gpu runs at 80°C + 93°C gpu hotspot"

furmark stress test in approximately 5 min....
play any game that can max it like SoTR on highest setting...
also msi kambuster....

i will sent the picture

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
furmark stress test in approximately 5 min....
play any game that can max it like SoTR on highest setting...
also msi kambuster....
Yeah, just forget about Furmark and Kombustor.
They're practically the same app - synthetic loads that don't accurately represent game loads. Prime 95, but for gpus.
Use the actual games for tests. 5 mins is too short; you don't actually play any games for 5 mins, do you?

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Yeah, just forget about Furmark and Kombustor.
They're practically the same app - synthetic loads that don't accurately represent game loads. Prime 95, but for gpus.
Use the actual games for tests. 5 mins is too short; you don't actually play any games for 5 mins, do you?
that was a stress test .
i played Overwatch on epic setting , render resolution 200% and 45ish fps... i forgot to check temperature.
but on 100% , it was around 61°C with Vsync On 60fps....

SoTR around half an hour , 81ish... and Hotspot spike to 94

control 2019 , 80. the strange thing is that i cant enabl RTX on that game, how so? isnt this card supposed to support RTX?

also resident evil 3 , same 80ish.

basically any game with 100% utilization, make it 80 and 92-93 on hotspot.

so what temperature should it be on? still confused. also i tried to undervolt, on msi afterburner, i dont know how to do it but i raised the left part of the graph (700mv) from 1300 to 1600 . I'm! not sure but i think that means if it run on 1600mhz, it can use 700mv and before this changes, Gpu would use for example 950mv for that frequency.... am i right? and if its true, then with that changes, GPU temp drop to 77 on 100%

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
played Overwatch on epic setting , render resolution 200% and 45ish fps... i forgot to check temperature.
but on 100% , it was around 61°C with Vsync On 60fps....

SoTR around half an hour , 81ish... and Hotspot spike to 94

control 2019 , 80. the strange thing is that i cant enabl RTX on that game, how so? isnt this card supposed to support RTX?

also resident evil 3 , same 80ish.

basically any game with 100% utilization, make it 80 and 92-93 on hotspot.
Those all sound fine to me.

so what temperature should it be on?
There isn't one. Everyone isn't going to get the same results; there are too many variables for there to be 'just the one'.
The card is still operating within what it considers safe, that's all that matters. The max for gpu core is 85C, with hotspot being 110C+.
A gap of 10-20C between core and hotspot is typical.

also i tried to undervolt, on msi afterburner,
Lowering power limit + core clock adjustments do the same thing, without all the needless complexity that the undervolting methods add.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
If you use GPU-z or HWInfo, it'll report the performance cap reason. As long as the video card is not saying it's for thermal reasons, there's no real reason to worry about the temperature.

Also do not worry about the other performance cap reasons. There's always a performance cap reason.
yes i have seen that , its on another color but i never paid attention to it. but i guess it was Power limit but again, i'm not sure

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Those all sound fine to me.

There isn't one. Everyone isn't going to get the same results; there are too many variables for there to be 'just the one'.
The card is still operating within what it considers safe, that's all that matters. The max for gpu core is 85C, with hotspot being 110C+.
A gap of 10-20C between core and hotspot is typical.

Lowering power limit + core clock adjustments do the same thing, without all the needless complexity that the undervolting methods add.
thanks, so you think i shouldnt open it up to change paste?
also i'm not sure about the way you explained the last part, but did i do it wrong? i mean Undervolt. is there an easier app for that? on MSI afterburner, Voltage bar is in the left, basically i cant Lower it and all i can do is go higher....

by the way my room temperature is 20-23

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
thanks, so you think i shouldnt open it up to change paste?
I would not.

also i'm not sure about the way you explained the last part, but did i do it wrong? i mean Undervolt. is there an easier app for that? on MSI afterburner, Voltage bar is in the left, basically i cant Lower it and all i can do is go higher....
There isn't an easier app; they all function the same.
The voltage slider does not really do anything, for the most part. The built in boost algorithm tends to ignore it based on core temperatures and power limit, but it does not ignore voltage adjustments done from the Curve Editor.
The problem I've found with undervolting gpus is that it's nigh impossible to tell how far one can go as far as stability goes. The boost algorithm gets in the way, and no, you can't turn it off.
Lowering power limit slider has the same goal(lower power consumption), and you can bump up the core clock a little to at least match the card's performance at its default profile.

by the way my room temperature is 20-23
Ok, but is that the temperature of the air going into the cooler? Probably not.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
IMO, yes. Nothing needs to be done yet.
the fact that i am asking this, i bought this 2nd hand from a shop.
it seems there is no artifact and everything works fine. but that temperature.
the guy told me if i'm unhappy with it , i can send it to him so he change the thermalpaste and recheck if its Ok to send it back. also he said i can refound it.

the card looks fine physically and no damage, warranty seal is intact. and i dont hear strange noise or sth like that.
i tried Downclock as i mentioned above, and its 77 now. I'm sure i made a mess during Downclock and didnt do it right.
so , how much temperature change can i expect from Downclock if i do it right?

p.s: i bought this card for 112$ , fair?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
the fact that i am asking this, i bought this 2nd hand from a shop.
it seems there is no artifact and everything works fine. but that temperature.
the guy told me if i'm unhappy with it , i can send it to him so he change the thermalpaste and recheck if its Ok to send it back
The thermals you've reported are still within what the card would consider safe.
Heck, the gap between the core and hot spot on my 1080Ti is 14C.

The function of the gpu cooler must also be considered. That one draws air in from below and exhausts it out the back and front, the latter of which will conflict with front intake case fans, causing air to stall in the space between them, or recirculate warm air back into the gpu cooler.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
The thermals you've reported are still within what the card would consider safe.
Heck, the gap between the core and hot spot on my 1080Ti is 14C.

The function of the gpu cooler must also be considered. That one draws air in from below and exhausts it out the back and front, the latter of which will conflict with front intake case fans, causing air to stall in the space between them, or recirculate warm air back into the gpu cooler.
what is your 1080ti fan RPM? are they on 100?
is GPU suppose to run its fan on 💯%?

today i tried to undervolt. by default, core V is 750Mv so i dropped it to 700 (the lowest possible in MSI curve and its chart) .... as the results , i draw a straight line on 1410mhz from 700 to 1250 mv ...
didnt Change a thing... not even 1°C .

is that Normal??? -50MV and Not even 1©?

but i noticed the FAN is on 81% rpm and i changed it to 100% .... the sound is crazy.... but the temp went to 75-76 .

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what is your 1080ti fan RPM? are they on 100?
is GPU suppose to run its fan on 💯%?
Before I changed the cooler to the Kraken G12 + Celsius S36, I ran the fans(via Afterburner) at 100% when playing. I couldn't hear 'em over the music and other sounds, so I didn't see a reason not to run them at max.
At the time, I was sitting ~1.5m away from the PC.
When not playing, they were at 50%, I think? It's been some time(changed cooler in June 2020), but I know it wasn't 0.

They designed the coolers around 100% rpm, so why wouldn't 100% be ok? Answer: It's fine, if you can tolerate it. If you can't, turn them down until you can.
Also, a steady rpm is easier on the motor than one that constantly runs up and down.

today i tried to undervolt. by default, core V is 750Mv so i dropped it to 700 (the lowest possible in MSI curve and its chart) .... as the results , i draw a straight line on 1410mhz from 700 to 1250 mv ...
didnt Change a thing... not even 1°C .

is that Normal??? -50MV and Not even 1©?
I have no idea what to make of those settings.
Just adjust the power limit slider, as it can do the same thing without all that confusion and headache.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Before I changed the cooler to the Kraken G12 + Celsius S36, I ran the fans(via Afterburner) at 100% when playing. I couldn't hear 'em over the music and other sounds, so I didn't see a reason not to run them at max.
At the time, I was sitting ~1.5m away from the PC.
When not playing, they were at 50%, I think? It's been some time(changed cooler in June 2020), but I know it wasn't 0.

They designed the coolers around 100% rpm, so why wouldn't 100% be ok? Answer: It's fine, if you can tolerate it. If you can't, turn them down until you can.
Also, a steady rpm is easier on the motor than one that constantly runs up and down.

I have no idea what to make of those settings.
Just adjust the power limit slider, as it can do the same thing without all that confusion and headache.
you see, msi auto management, set fans to less than 70% untill 78°C .... then suddenly it go to 80%... and stay there....
basically 80© and 80% rpm

i have changed the setting you mentioned, yea i set temp to 75© .... but the FPS is dropping from 130 to 80 in Furmark....

out of curiosity, do you remember what was your temperature with factory fans? and what is it right now? i know 1080 is another story...

i was thinking of adding some FAN to the case , although side door is completely Open

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
you see, msi auto management, set fans to less than 70% untill 78°C .... then suddenly it go to 80%... and stay there....
basically 80© and 80% rpm

i have changed the setting you mentioned, yea i set temp to 75© .... but the FPS is dropping from 130 to 80 in Furmark....

out of curiosity, do you remember what was your temperature with factory fans? and what is it right now? i know 1080 is another story...

i was thinking of adding some FAN to the case , although side door is completely Open
1)I don't use auto fan - always preferred the additional control.
2)Said it earlier: don't use Furmark. The games you actually play are the best test.
3A)It never went over 65C. I don't remember the hot spot at the time.
3B)The core doesn't go over 40C. Hot spot is 14C higher of whatever the core is.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
1)I don't use auto fan - always preferred the additional control.
2)Said it earlier: don't use Furmark. The games you actually play are the best test.
3A)It never went over 65C. I don't remember the hot spot at the time.
3B)The core doesn't go over 40C. Hot spot is 14C higher of whatever the core is.
are 3rd party cooler for gpu have specific model?
never seen one... perhaps i can get one as well.

TRENDING THREADS