[SOLVED] MSI 750ti not giving display with i5 4570

ALI_6_

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
Hi.

MY SPECS:
CPU: i5 4570
GPU: MSI 750ti 2gb single fan(No external power connector)
Motherboard: MSI H81 M P33
PSU: Image( https://ibb.co/9420P3s)

GPU is running fine on other motherboards. Mobo display is working when gpu is removed. Another cpu is used with same specs and everything is working fine.

What could be the issue?

Solution
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Sounds like the motherboard is stuck for whatever reason using display through its onboard port. I can't pull up the exact settings where it's located, though, the manual doesn't specify each menu.
Install the GPU, clear the CMOS, then try powering up.

UEFI bios. The 750Ti probably won't work because it doesn't support this type of bios. Luckly, you're in good shape as you can re-sell this card at a good price now or just keep it as it's a really nice one to have for older systems.

750 Ti doesn't? I'm not 100% sure since I never had that GPU, but I remember my old MSI B75 board accepts GTX 660, and later RX 580 fine. The 580 install needed a BIOS update for whatever reason, but even in that...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Sounds like the motherboard is stuck for whatever reason using display through its onboard port. I can't pull up the exact settings where it's located, though, the manual doesn't specify each menu.
Install the GPU, clear the CMOS, then try powering up.

UEFI bios. The 750Ti probably won't work because it doesn't support this type of bios. Luckly, you're in good shape as you can re-sell this card at a good price now or just keep it as it's a really nice one to have for older systems.

750 Ti doesn't? I'm not 100% sure since I never had that GPU, but I remember my old MSI B75 board accepts GTX 660, and later RX 580 fine. The 580 install needed a BIOS update for whatever reason, but even in that case I still have display, it just says no boot drive detected past BIOS. Sounds unlikely to me, especially since UEFI has been around way back before 750 Ti even existed.

Solution
750 Ti doesn't? I'm not 100% sure since I never had that GPU, but I remember my old MSI B75 board accepts GTX 660, and later RX 580 fine. The 580 install needed a BIOS update for whatever reason, but even in that case I still have display, it just says no boot drive detected past BIOS. Sounds unlikely to me, especially since UEFI has been around way back before 750 Ti even existed.
I don't think it does. I remember reading about issues like this back when UEFI-only boards started coming out and people were trying to use 7xx gpus with them.

ALI_6_

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
Sorry forgot to add backstory.
Bought this system with i3 4130. Then I bought i5 4570 and when I installed i5 it started this problem. Card was working fine when it was i3 4130. I don't have i3 4130 now to check if it works or not. I tried all of these specs with a different motherboard and no display. As soon as the processor was changed it started giving display.
My mother board also have some issues so I am replacing it.

So current situatuion:
There is no display, but when the processor is changed everything works fine.

yeah you probably need to update the bios to at least v10 to run the new processor, so swap the older proc back and try the upgrade

P.S. forgot to ask, you do have the 4-pin ATX connector plugged into the motherboard right?

Not sure if the Dell PSU is the 20-pin variety - may want to try with another PSU also.

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to add backstory.
Bought this system with i3 4130. Then I bought i5 4570 and when I installed i5 it started this problem. Card was working fine when it was i3 4130. I don't have i3 4130 now to check if it works or not. I tried all of these specs with a different motherboard and no display. As soon as the processor was changed it started giving display.
My mother board also have some issues so I am replacing it.

So current situatuion:
There is no display, but when the processor is changed everything works fine.
Where did you get the i5? Might be a fake one if it was sold as new.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
check the bios version on the board? you need v7817v10 or higher to run that CPU? if the GPU works with another CPU on the same board then it's not UEFI - interestingly the 750Ti is not listed on supported boards: but older boards and other 7xx cards are listed: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-P33#support-vga

That's probably because the 750Ti is Maxwell 1.0. Most of the rest of the 700 series are Kepler. It's possible the 750Ti may never work with this motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD