MSI 890FXA-GD70 compatibility issue (Video Card, HD 5970) PLEASE HELP!

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue cause its bugging the heck out of me and people elsewhere sound about as stumped as I am.

Ok, so I've build a new system using the MSI 890fxa-GD70, 1090t Phenom II X6. Now, after I get everything hooked up with my new Radeon HD 5970 it hangs on boot up with the starting windows logo and won't hit the desktop. I naturally assume its a RAM issue since I couldn't install win 7 unless I went down to 1 stick of RAM and when I did I could not properly install the drivers on the video card. This is a fresh system build. The two times I tried after having to reboot I would get the generic error "No ATI device recognized or installed" etc etc. So I was stuck with a 640 by 480 in 16 colors setup. Before I'm labeled with some criticism, yes I -did- check RAM voltages and apply them accordingly. I went from auto 1333 to 1600mhz at 1.65v and went into DCT 0 and also put them at cas 7 8 7 24. Still nothing, I thought well, maybe its the video card then. I plugged my new card into my old dual core system, also an MSI board, and it popped up and accepted the drivers like a charm, Win7 64 bit as well. So I was told maybe it was a bad PSU in my new system so I went from a tier 3 power supply to a Tier 2 Corsair TX850w. Same thing, nothing,

After much frustration, I ended up putting my old Geforce 8800GTS 512mb into my new system (I don't remember why I did, I believe my other older psu from my current system was bugging out or something) Low and behold, my new system boots up with all 8 sticks of RAM like a charm and Win 7 auto installs a driver for the card and it starts working -great-. I thought maybe there was a fluke somewhere and when I moved the Radeon back it started hanging out again, I went back to the Geforce and booted it up just fine again and ran a mem diagnostic, hoping I could more thoroughly check out what was going wrong on the system. It was only a Windows memory diagnostic, not memtest86, but I ran two standard tests and one extended memory test with NO problems. I would like to believe that the windows tester would at least pick up some inclination of a problem even though Im told its not a reliable tester, if one that prevented booting would exist. So, now, here I am wondering if its some kind of compatibility issue with the video card and Mo Bo or what. Which would make little sense since its an AMD chipset made for crossfire X and ATI cards so why have problems with an ATI card? I am using this Radeon HD 5970 right now on my old system to post this message and have run a few games on it with no problems as well...I even put it on a friends system to test it, no problems, So is it a compatibility issue or a bad MoBo or what? Seeing as my old video card and the system itself boots just fine with it together but not with the new one. I cant believe that TWO PSUs back to back are bad in a row, even though the first one didnt seem bad to begin with.

Please, help, Im about to RMA the board but I need to know if its a video card issue or what and if I should return that or something...

MSI 890fxa-GD70
Corsair TX850w
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR 3 1600mhz 8 GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t @ 3.2ghz
WD Velciraptor HD 74GB 10k rpm (boot)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2 GB (old card is EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 512mb)

Old sys
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
MSI K9N4 SLI board
3 GB of G.SKill DDR2

Solution

We did Beta 1.6b which final is out now, on there website. You can only post link here for photo using HTML code. Like this

4645565738_aac46f3d90_b.jpg

Power to Furry Raider

Foxler

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I would say the board is working fine if all the slots are recognizing different hardware and I did read that you tried another graphics card in it and it worked fine.

By the way Whether the board is Crossfire or SLi, ATI or Nvidia cards will work in them just the board itself won't let you SLi two ATI cards on a SLi board.

Take the card back or it might be a problem with the way the OS is getting installed I would try a FULL FORMAT and a fresh install after you remove the battery and reset the CMOS.

I hope this post helps.

Sorry for your troubles it sucks when something like this happens.

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Oh, I forgot to mention I flashed the BIOS to v1.3 already too, so flashing the BIOS didnt help either. I know the way crossfire and SLi work, one is made for Nvidia cards and the other is for ATI cards my point was that since its a crossfire board with an AMD chipset (890fx) why is it having some kind of issue like this...I can't turn up the power to the PCI e lane as far as I can tell either. I dont know what else to do, the new video card has been working -great- on this old system I'm on so why cant it work on my new one? Furthermore, its beyond my senses why my old card works without a hitch in the new system.

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I am having the same problem with close to the same build...

CPU - AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 965 3.4 GHz
Mobo - MSi 890FXA-GD70 with the newest bios 1.4
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB x 2
HDD 1 - Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10000 RPM Sata 6.0GB/s
HDD 2 - Western Digital AV-GP 2TB Sata 3.0GB/s
Video Card - ASUS EAH5970/G/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5970
PSU - BFG EX Series 1200 watt
LG Blu-Ray Burner
LG Blu-Ray Player
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM
and some extra junk

When installing Windows it hung up at the Starting Windows screen with the glowing Windows logo for about 20 minutes before moving on. After installing Windows and updating every driver to boot the machine up takes 5 minutes at the Starting Windows screen again and once it does start it is not even running close to the performance that it should be running at. I have found that disabling the USB in the bios makes all these problems go away, which is not an acceptable fix. But i did discover that my video card does not show up in the device manger when the USB is enabled and there is a PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use which i have read is some sort of IRQ conflict even though i have APIC enabled in the bios, but the PCI Express standard Root Port is on 11 and the USB devices appear to be on 17 through 19 so i dont know why they would be conflicting? I am still researching at this time on how to fix but I have already RMAed the mobo once to no avail and have been fighting this for a week now, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I am sorry xurwin if I have made some sort of mistake but it appears to me that Jedirobus and I both have the same exact problem. I don't see the point in having multiple threads for the same exact issue? but if I am in the wrong I will start my own thread if need be.

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Ok I can confirm that moving the Radeon HD 5970 to a different PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot does not solve the problem

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

just follows it to the new slot (I went from PCIe 1 to PCIe 5 since those are the two slots that MSi says are PCI Express 2.0 x16 which moved the card from IRQ 11 to 10) but anyways did not solve anything.

I tried to see if the conflict was still there with the USB disabled which the machine booted up VERY quickly about 10 to 15 seconds as compared to before at 5 minutes but appears to be unrelated to the conflict seeing how it was still there. So please disregard my slow boot problem because of the USB as it appears to be unrelated to this thread.

However the conflict for getting the Radeon HD 5970 working properly on the MSi 890FXA-GD70 continues...

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
You guys are getting close to a solution, but I'm really thinking that RMA'ing your MSI board might be the best idea at this point. I usally go with Gigabyte they have never had issues with me on any Mhz of RAM and any Ghz of CPU and any types of GPU structure.

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Well if it happening to more than one of us, then would be no point of RMA'ing the board, seeing if it is bios issue, but if it hardware issue with components then they put new replacement parts or replace whole board with new Ver. More likely in next few hours I will be on phone asking them what the plan on the fix, if I get nothing. I'm returning board for something else.

Foxler

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Sorry I mean't to return the board and get your money back from newegg cause I asume thats where most of you bought this board, but something thats crazy is I read the newegg reviews on this board of MSI's and not one person had a problem < 5eggs all the way! Hum I'll be sure to stay away from this on my next build GeEzZ. . .

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

Ya no joke, that cool. Well I've used MSI for 10 years and never really had problem, but this one bites the cake. I really have my hearts set on this board, but Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 look really good, as 2 eSATA which is what I really want, but never like colors of the boards lol Hey got to look good too. I will give MSI sometime to fix it, more likely they will HAVE TOO :non: even so might make this claim for memory problems as well. Made mistake and got DDR3 1333, 1600 would work better for plan I have for my system.

Force MSI to fix it and pay for shipping on RMA.. This is not warranty issue.

They pay for restocking fees...

Yes I got mine from Newegg Business, now I have 15 boards >.> even worst when ya got to return 3k in motherboard. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Foxler of FoxRunner PC

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

No one makes it like they use too, end of story. I would settled for Sgi Prims over Crossfire/SLi. MIPS over Intel any day, if Mircosoft had a heart they would never came up with DirectX and OpenGL would be god.

I love how people always ask at the end of the day "will it play Crysis" Then first thing come to mind "no one cares, just as to work"

We will always still overclock, cool it, hack it and burn it. Steal from Mircosoft and download torrents all day. At the end only fun we have is yelling at our screen as we get more headshot than we can count. As we relax to our playlist, start flame wars and troll the Noobs all day.

I wish it was 1998 again, Furry Fandom, Celeron 366, and 56k.

Foxler

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
You know, I thought about RMAing the board but if I do that Newegg only exchanges it for the same thing. So thats pointless. If I had waited I probably would have gone with ASRock but MSI had never failed me prior to this point. When I bought all this stuff it was like the -day- the 6 core CPUs came out and the only two boards available were the ASUS C4F and the MSI board. I thought, well, gee let me save 50 bucks and have pretty much the same capability, (Im still using an IDE DVD drive and buying a SATA one since the ASUS board had no IDE channels on it would have cost me another 20 bucks) This on top of the fact the shipping was free on the MSI board and it was 39 bucks cheaper and 20 bucks that I didnt have to pay for a new SATA Dvd drive I thought -gold- cause I always loved MSI, IN FACT, as I said earlier. My OLD system that is doing fine with this HD 5970 is an MSI K9N4 SLi with a dual core AMD Athlon 64 and its working like a charm sounds like I'm not the only one goin mad over this issue. It sucks us faithful have to suffer but good job on that post in the MSI forums Foxler, I'm gonna go follow up if I can to make sure something is done. I too miss the days of yore when it was just assemble, connect, play...none of this well if you disable this reroute that flash BIOS 20 times and slant this...to get it to work right. Superior Tech seems to equal Superior complications when it should be the opposite.

I'll try that USB disable technique but It is an UNACCEPTABLE fix...you shouldnt have to sacrifice something like that to make it work. I notice its only with Dual GPU cards. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that this board still has an IDE channel on it? You think?? I'd normally say well they are unrelated channels but the fact that somehow disabling the USB on the board fixes the problem for someone is VERY strange.

Also, Goodymon, thank you very much for posting your work around and I apologize if Xurwin steered you elsewhere as the problems are the same its good to feed this thread so others can find it and we can mosh against MSI or something. I must ask...what in the world made you think to try this?

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Yes you can, because item as we know it as been faulty, just tell them you been in contact with MSI and because of the bug you can't use the system. I just got off the phone with Newegg and they have approved RMA for FULL Refund with shipping label for in store cedit.

Foxler

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Me too ~rubs your shoulder, when I have one more week before my 30 days and UPS label last for 7 days so I will give MSI one more week. Call them now and report to them, let them know it issue building up in community.

More likely Asus, but GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD7 look good, but yes I WANT THE MSI ONE!

Foxler

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Which Asus? the Crosshair IV formula or M4A89TD PRO AM3 AMD 890FX ? Yeah, I was leaning toward gigabyte or ASRock personally if MSI wouldn't work. I did one ASUS build for a friend and it crapped out in a month, the board just died for no reason I could think of but some strange short somewhere, dunno.

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Ok so I have called MSi this morning (which by the way I would like to point out that its nice talking to technical support people from America since they talk normal and dont sound like they are reading a script from a book, so I have been very happy with MSi tech support they are very helpful) but anyways they said they are going to try to duplicate the problem with the MSi 890FXA-GD70 running a Radeon HD 5970 so I am going to be waiting to hear back from them.

However when I get home tonight I am going to borrow one of my friends much smaller NVidia cards and see if that cures the

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

and possible even the slow boot problem. If that does work then this would appear to be just a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970.

I also plan on trying to install Windows XP and see if that makes a difference, this should eliminate the possibility of it being a software or driver problem if they still have the same conflict.

Sadly if this is some sort hardware conflict and there is no fix to make them work together then I will be having to change motherboards. I think if I cant get this one to work I will be going with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441

which I imagine newegg should allow me to return it with no restocking fee but I hope it doesn't come to that.