Question MSI A320m Pro-VD/S shows white CPU led but all works fine

Dec 5, 2022
So as per title, my MSI A320m Pro-VD/S shows the white CPU LED continuously but all works fine. Just installed a Ryzen 5 5600G, replacing a Ryzen 3 1200. No VGA, just the APU. All works, system boots, nice temps. Do I have to worry about it? The only reason I see it is because I have a mesh-type case so I literally see inside through the vents. Yes, latest BETA BIOS since that is what makes this board accept that APU. Shall I just go get a new mobo? CPU seems fine so I guess it's the mobo then (?)

Just because it "seems" ok doesn't mean that it actually is. That light doesn't come on for no reason, ever. I'd update to the latest BIOS if a new STABLE release comes out, to see if that might be the issue, prior to replacing the board ALTHOUGH a better board, preferably something from the B550 family, might not be the worst idea either.

You might also very much want to pull the CPU back out and make sure that no pins accidentally got bent during the installation. Yes, you CAN have bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel) and still have a seemingly normal functioning system. It greatly depends on WHICH pin or pins are bent.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should state the BIOS version for the sake of relevance. Too many people come around here saying latest only to learn that there was one more item on the table. Reflash the BIOS, clear the CMOS after a successful BIOS flash and see if the issue persists.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
with a before and after.

Dec 5, 2022
Just because it "seems" ok doesn't mean that it actually is. That light doesn't come on for no reason, ever. I'd update to the latest BIOS if a new STABLE release comes out, to see if that might be the issue, prior to replacing the board ALTHOUGH a better board, preferably something from the B550 family, might not be the worst idea either.

You might also very much want to pull the CPU back out and make sure that no pins accidentally got bent during the installation. Yes, you CAN have bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel) and still have a seemingly normal functioning system. It greatly depends on WHICH pin or pins are bent.

CPU re-seated, still the same. This mobo got a BIOS update to sort of "make it take" these CPUs so I wonder if it's just not enough for it. New mobo on the way already (Gigabyte B450M H) so only have to take a few days.

Dec 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should state the BIOS version for the sake of relevance. Too many people come around here saying latest only to learn that there was one more item on the table. Reflash the BIOS, clear the CMOS after a successful BIOS flash and see if the issue persists.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
with a before and after.

Before:
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
Motherboard: MSI A320 Pro-vd/s
Ram: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Kingston A400 240GB , Kingston A400 480GB
GPU: before it died (hence the whole APU thing) it was an Asus GTX 1650 4GB OC - sold already for parts
PSU: 500W Coolermaster
Chassis: Chieftec Mesh Series CI-02B Cube mATX
Monitor: Samsung T22C300

After:

Exactly the same but with an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G and no dedicated GPU at all.

BIOS: 7A36v2L4(Beta version) for both. I installed it in October. From MSI site.

VGA died last week, don't want to spend much on PC anymore so I just figured I'll be fine with an APU.

PS: just to clarify, I am 37 and interested/into IT for over 30 years now, built PCs before being 10, made BASIC programs from age 6. The reason I posted is if there's any trick or known issue regarding this MSI A320 + the 5600G so I can skip spending on a new mobo, but that is sort of out of the question as I've ordered it already and it's on its way.

Dec 5, 2022
B450 board might still need a BIOS update, so hopefully you still have that Ryzen 1200.
Yup! Keeping that one for exactly that. Mobo should have that BIOS though as it's out since 21 July for it.

Also bit of an update: the system since crashed 3 times altogether. Twice froze, once rebooted on its own so something's definitely off. Hopefully not the CPU because even though it's an easy warranty replacement I probably won't have it in time and will be without PC until January.

Lutfij

Titan
Coolermaster is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the advertised wattage of said unit. What is the model of the unit asked of? Age of the PSU?

Considering you were on a prior GPU, did you use DDU to rid your entire platform off of all GPU drivers before you installed the APU's drivers?

See what happens with the new board. If you had a graphics card that was faulty installed in that board it's completely possible to have something wrong with the board as well. Also, as mentioned, knowing the ACTUAL MODEL of your "500w Coolermaster" is practically a necessity.

Look on the PSU. The specifications decal on the side will list the model number.

Dec 5, 2022
Coolermaster is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the advertised wattage of said unit. What is the model of the unit asked of? Age of the PSU?

Considering you were on a prior GPU, did you use DDU to rid your entire platform off of all GPU drivers before you installed the APU's drivers?
About 4 years old, not sure why would this be so important.
And I removed the Nvidia drivers, not with DDU and I highly doubt it has anything to do with the mobo LED issue.

DSzymborski

Titan
About 4 years old, not sure why would this be so important.
And I removed the Nvidia drivers, not with DDU and I highly doubt it has anything to do with the mobo LED issue.

It does matter. You already have a GPU die in a machine with a possibly sketchy PSU, and that sketchy PSU being the cause would not be unusual. And if you have a junk PSU that's already malfunctioning, it could be causing other issues.

This is very basic information that gives information about the health of your PC. There's a reason they check your blood pressure when you go to the doctor, even if you're not there for something blood pressure-related. This is no different.

Reactions: Lutfij and GniQQ
Dec 5, 2022
It does matter. You already have a GPU die in a machine with a possibly sketchy PSU, and that sketchy PSU being the cause would not be unusual. And if you have a junk PSU that's already malfunctioning, it could be causing other issues.

This is very basic information that gives information about the health of your PC. There's a reason they check your blood pressure when you go to the doctor, even if you're not there for something blood pressure-related. This is no different.
Okay, that makes sense. Still, no issues so far with the PSU. If I have problems with the new mobo (along with the BIOS update if needed) then I'll be getting a new PSU too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Still, no issues so far with the PSU.
So, clearly it DIDN'T make sense to you, because you're still in denial.

What, specifically, about a graphics card dying and a system that fails to function correctly, makes you THINK you don't potentially have a power supply issue? Because, you realize, and if you don't I'm here to tell you, that ANY problem, ANY, that you can have on a computer, can be caused by the power supply. Power supply issues aren't simply "no lights, no obvious power". Anybody who thinks that has MUCH to learn.

Any problem you can have, CPU, graphics card, storage device, memory, failure to POST, failure to power on, failure to do ANYTHING AT ALL, can absolutely be caused by the power supply and the #1 way we are able to determine if it's probable that you have a power supply issue, aside from having it tested, is knowing what model a person has because we are very familiar with which models are generally problematic or unknown (And that usually means problematic too) especially if they are of a well known name brand. And, that brings up the other very important point regarding power supplies, brand.

If you, or anybody, thinks a power supply is good just because it's a well known or supposedly "trusted" brand, that's an even bigger mistake than thinking it's not a power supply issue because you have a couple of lights on and the fans are turning. Every brand out there has both good and truly garbage type models. So, if you don't understand why it's important to know the model of your power supply AND it's approximate age, then you don't understand anything at all about computers and it's going to be nearly impossible to help you until you come to that understanding.

Reading these might HELP you to gain some insights into why this is the case. And for the record, Coolermaster has some TRULY HORRIFIC "500w" models. In fact, MOST of their 500w models historically are crap. Almost all of them.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Unless you have to get another new motherboard too.

"If I get in a car accident THEN I'll replace the brakes!"
Right. Like, if I have a heart attack, THEN I'll worry about not guzzling bacon grease anymore. LOL.

Sorry GniQQ, we're not trying to pick on you or make fun. We just want you to understand the reality and the seriousness of how a bad power supply can not only cause problems, but create damage as well.

Dec 5, 2022
Right. Like, if I have a heart attack, THEN I'll worry about not guzzling bacon grease anymore. LOL.

Sorry GniQQ, we're not trying to pick on you or make fun. We just want you to understand the reality and the seriousness of how a bad power supply can not only cause problems, but create damage as well.
I get it.

Anyway, not to be the smartypants or anything but just for closure: it was the mobo's stupid beta BIOS which couldn't handle the 5600G even though MSI states that on their site.

I bought a new mobo, put it in the case, in goes the 5600G. Same case, same RAMs, same PSU, same SSDs, cables, everything.

Wonderfully working, fast and smooth. Well, Windows went to can't activate mode but that's a different topic which I've already fixed too.

The old mobo gets the Ryzen 3 1200 back and an acquaintance gets it to build a cheap desktop.

Thanks everyone, case closed.

h9FLN83.png

Reactions: GniQQ