[SOLVED] MSI Afterburner shows lots of voltage limit spikes

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Let me start by saying this: RTX 2060 in a Sager laptop. I've done driver installs many times, I know the CPU isn't throttling and I don't have any temp issues on CPU (80c under load) and GPU (72c under load).

Issues: only play Modern Warfare/Warzone, usually get 80-95fps but will go through periods of 60-70 with no known reason.

What I've done: downloaded MSI Afterburner and learned how to use it, now I can visibly see during the 60-70fps sessions my GPU is constantly spiking to the GPU volt limit; conversely in the 80-95fps sessions, there are 0 spikes. This all just happens randomly and I can't figure out why it would happen. Laptop power cord faulty? Faulty GPU? PSU?

Any help appreciated.

Solution
figured it out myself. factory overclocked my card by 450mhz but didn't touch the voltage. i had to undervolt/clock it from 1850mhz to 1575hz. now 5c cooler, no power or voltage spike/limit, and i also was able to put an additional 400mhz on the RAM clock. it's too bad it literally took me two weeks to resolve this problem. i had already had an RMA ready to go. it's a shame sager/xotic overclocked this so poorly from the get-go.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
figured it out myself. factory overclocked my card by 450mhz but didn't touch the voltage. i had to undervolt/clock it from 1850mhz to 1575hz. now 5c cooler, no power or voltage spike/limit, and i also was able to put an additional 400mhz on the RAM clock. it's too bad it literally took me two weeks to resolve this problem. i had already had an RMA ready to go. it's a shame sager/xotic overclocked this so poorly from the get-go.

Solution