MSI and the Devil

BoBBoB

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
This is just an FYI to all do it yourselfers, and other pc enthusiast. I work for a medium sized, custom build system integrator and retail outlet. For about a year, we experienced a high rate of sales of AMD based systems. During that year, we predominantly relied on MSI motherboards. Unfortunately, to our great disappointment, we found that approximately 30% to 40% of these MSI boards would fail around the 12-month period. We would of course send these boards back to manufacturer as they offered 3-year hardware warranty. Again, to our misfortune, we found that the RMA process would often exceed 6 weeks for replacement product. We found the company, though highly recommended, and up to date on current technology, wasn't able to provide a reliable product. We now only purchase their products on special order for customers. I just thought you might all be happier consumers if you were aware of these issues.

Kudos

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
That's very interesting.... I'm about to buy a MSI KT3 Ultra so I would be grateful if you tell as more about your experience there, What kind of fail did you have? What models did you see failing?
I know that sometimes the RAID controller is giving problems....

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
6 weeks?

that's odd, I replaced 2 MSI boards (1 K7T Pro2a & 1 K7T Turbo) and I had the exchange in a tad less than 2 weeks. And that's from shipping from NY to CA.

Both boards have still been rock solid. AAMOF, one of the boards was replaced by the Limited edition version with RAID, but both boards sent were plain-Jane non-RAID versions.

Still, it was enough to turn me off of offering new products based on MSI boards. I now use Abit, and may go back to Asus, but I've had problems with their boards too, and I see a lot of posts of people having problems with A7V333's.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just remember the number of issues you see with any product is direcly related to the number of people who buy them and surely a lot of people buy Asus motherboards due to their reputation.(I personaly have switched to another brand due to cost but I must say my experience with Asus motherboards P2B,P3B-F,A7V,A7M266 has been great).
Steve.

Beam me up Scotty.

BoBBoB

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
The boards we experienced the most problems with where the K7TPro series, basically all revisions. The 6330 series that is (Pro, Pro2, Pro2A, etc.) We also had less mild problems with the 6380's though still a percentage of boards higher than I deemed acceptable. The 6341 was a big problem too (K7Master) and the 6340 (micro). The Limited did seem to be a bit more reliable.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
this is interesting... its always hard to get return figures on components in bulk.
do u sell other mobo brands? and if so, what are their return rates like?

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

BoBBoB

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
DFI, Asus, Abit, Intel, and rarelly Supermicro. DFI, Asus, and Abit all have about the same rate of failure, though Asus boards tend to be more peculiar and difficult to configure. Intel, we have maybe 1% DOA and 3% failure, but have a 24 hr next day exchange policy.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
interesting.

dont have any dealings with soyo, epox or ECS do u?
particularly soyo and ecs as ive seen and heard of all sorts of up and down quality issues

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey B,

Thanks for the heads up. I just got a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU. I love this board!...........so far, but if it doesn't last a year, I will never buy another MSI mobo. I am going to watch to see if it will last.

Have you had any problems with this model of mobo?

Peace Out...........tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I'm assuming you're talking about the 133 FSB bug with the 6341. The problem I have with MSI regarding that board is that for the longest time they denied the problem existed. Certainly this board should have been recalled! Instead the customer, and most times the system builder, got screwed. How much time did you waste attempting to diagnose and fix this problem? Time is money, after all.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

BoBBoB

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
Lot's of time. Not necessarilly that bug, but if you mean the resetting 133 FSB, we did run into that. Basically, the boards fail, stop booting, won't post, hang, lock up, wont see XP procs, etc.

To that other response. ECS, Powerspec uses their boards, and they are cheap. We won't sell ECS, though I haven't had an real bad experiences with them. Epox, I have a Super Socket 7 Epox board, and it has been the most rock solid board I've ever owned. Soyo, is again another company I've never dealt with, but haven't really had any negative feedback about them. He he....even today, I had a customer call me. He couldn't get his new system posting properlly. He had a celeron 950, and MSI board. Thank god he didnt' buy it from us.