[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX won't boot from ssd after cpu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2022
Hi, I've just upgraded from a Ryzen 3700X to 5900X on the above board.

In preparation I upgraded to latest BIOS to support the new cpu a week or so ago and it has been stable with the 3700X and booting normally since then.

Today I got round to swapping in the 5900X hoping it would be a simple plug and go but while the new cpu is detected fine in bios windows will no longer boot from my nvme ssd (Samsung 970 EVO M.2). The SSD is still detected in system status but no longer appears in the boot list and the 'BBS priority' option has disappeared completely presuambly because it thinks there are no bootable drives.

If I use the windows 10 installation media on a usb drive I can get to windows install and choose the ssd but it insists on formatting to continue which I'd like to avoid if possible.

I can't find anyone else with this issue and I'm not sure why a fairly straightforward CPU change would suddenly stop an ssd booting so any suggestions would be welcome!

(I've reset bios, unplugged other drives etc. to no avail)

Jan 3, 2022
Hi, I did resolve this but now can't remember how apologies (tbh I might have just given up and formatted!)

Status
Not open for further replies.