Question MSI B450 Tomahawk + Ryzen 3000 series Problems

Jul 1, 2019
I just bought a B450 Tomahawk (non-max) with a "Ryzen 3000 ready" tag from company. My R5 2600 is about to arrive. I chose B450 Tomahawk because of it's incredible upgrade path and also good reviews regarding VRM etc thinking that I can easily upgrade to 3700X later.

However after buying it, I came across people facing issues with BIOS. I have few questions regarding this.

1) What's the update with problems right now (December, 2019) ?

2) Majority of the people were facing problems when trying to update BIOS using USB (without a 2nd Gen Pro). Do the problems arises if I update bios using my 2nd Gen Pro ?

3) Will my 2nd Gen Pro (2600) work fine or would I be facing problems too ?

Jul 28, 2019
Answer 2: You don't need CPU, GPU or MEMORY to update the bios in MSI Tomahawk motherboard. just download and extract the bios in a USB flash drive (ideally 2 to 4gb)

Answer 3: if you are planning to buy R5 2600 or any Ryzen 2nd Gen CPU you don't need to update the bios, the Max variant is already BIOS Updated for 3rd Gen CPU's.

:)

Jul 1, 2019
Answer 2: You don't need CPU, GPU or MEMORY to update the bios in MSI Tomahawk motherboard. just download and extract the bios in a USB flash drive (ideally 2 to 4gb)

You missed my point. I wrote that people are facing problems who try to update bios using USB. But this wouldn't be the case for me since I would be upgrading from a 2600 to 3700X. So I was asking that updating BIOS using my 2600 would also cause same problems or all those problems occurs only with USB bios update method ?

Jan 27, 2020
You missed my point. I wrote that people are facing problems who try to update bios using USB. But this wouldn't be the case for me since I would be upgrading from a 2600 to 3700X. So I was asking that updating BIOS using my 2600 would also cause same problems or all those problems occurs only with USB bios update method ?

What did you end up doing, and did you encounter any issues?

I am trying to help a friend who just purchased a new B450 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 5 3600. We don't have the option of using an older chip to update the BIOS, and have tried flashing the BIOS (with all components installed) after figuring out it wouldn't post.

We have been able to get the PC to post using 1 stick of RAM, but with dual channel the mobo gets stuck on the red CPU debug LED.

My next thoughts are to uninstall all components and try again to flash the mobo.. or reach out to AMD as I have heard they will send a loaner chip that can be used to update the BIOS.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019
What did you end up doing, and did you encounter any issues?

I am trying to help a friend who just purchased a new B450 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 5 3600. We don't have the option of using an older chip to update the BIOS, and have tried flashing the BIOS (with all components installed) after figuring out it wouldn't post.

We have been able to get the PC to post using 1 stick of RAM, but with dual channel the mobo gets stuck on the red CPU debug LED.

My next thoughts are to uninstall all components and try again to flash the mobo.. or reach out to AMD as I have heard they will send a loaner chip that can be used to update the BIOS.

Thanks for any feedback.

Actually I bought a 2600 with a B450 Tomahawk, so no BIOS problem for me.

Reactions: RustyOak