Question MSI B450M-A PRO MAX 2 does not support my RYZEN 5 4600G ?

sabervivek

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
HI ALL ,

I Recently Bought a RYZEN 5 4600G with an MSI B450M-A PRO MAX 2 motherboard, 8GB of Kingston DDR4 RAM, a 256GB NVMe SSD and a Corsair 450 watts PSU.

The problem is on the amazon website it clearly stated that this motherboard supports the 4600G CPU out of the box, but when I installed and finished setting up Windows 10 Ultimate 64-bit I'm getting only a blue screen.

When i inquired about this in my local dealer he said I have to update to the latest BIOS version for it to work and he also said try installing a 3rd. gen Ryzen CPU and, update the BIOS, then try installing.

I don't have a 3rd. gen CPU so is there a way to update the BIOS without changing the CPU?
Please guide me . Thanks .

Lutfij

Titan
According to this CPU compatibility list for your motherboard;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-A-PRO-MAX-II/support#cpu
you will need at least BIOS version 7C52vA0 in order to be able to drop the Ryzen 5 4600G onto the socket.

I don't have a 3rd. gen CPU so is there a way to update the BIOS without changing the CPU?
Simple answer, no.

Your motherboard doesn't have the BIOS Flash button on the rear, so the only way you'll be able to flash the BIOS is to drop in a Ryzen 2000 series processor, update the BIOS after you get POST and then clear the CMOS then drop the Ryzen 5 4600G onto the socket.

If I were you, I'd return the MSI board and pick up a higher quality board that has a Flash BIOS button on the rear.

Mind sharing a link to the PSU and the ram? You're going to leave performance on the table if you aren't working with a 2x DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, just an FYI. If your PSU is one with a yellow/orange or green label, please return it.