Question RTC/UDP Shenanigans- DESPERATELY looking for a genius; WiFi hates voice calls ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure that I have correctly anf fully followed all of the above - still no harm in asking...

Does the Access Point have a static IP address reserved for the Access Point via the router?

Specifically a Static IP address that is reserved by the router using the Access Point's MAC and using an assigned Static IP address that is outside of the DHCP IP Range allowed to the router?

And how is the Access Point connected to the router? What ports if wired?

Oct 9, 2024
Not sure that I have correctly anf fully followed all of the above - still no harm in asking...

Does the Access Point have a static IP address reserved for the Access Point via the router?

Specifically a Static IP address that is reserved by the router using the Access Point's MAC and using an assigned Static IP address that is outside of the DHCP IP Range allowed to the router?

And how is the Access Point connected to the router? What ports if wired?
Basically the technician said the old router isn't compatible hosting this new wifi by itself u_u

I'm not sure... where would I check in settings?

I do know we have a dynamic IP, like for example if our power goes out, when the router restarts when power is restored, our new IP is slightly different than the previous one

Oct 9, 2024
No idea / running out of my ideas.
I appreciate anything, you and everyone have been trying your best :lov:and it makes me really happy to be getting advice / having people investigate compared to Reddit where no one said anything at all 😔
If I get a new router soon and it's still being weird I'll update the post! I'll update it regardless if it works or not, to keep everything up to date

Oct 9, 2024
Avoid routers with AI features. You will never know what they do in the background.
I just assumed they made speeds a bit better, but yeah.. Generally I don't trust AI powered things, like self driving cars are terrifying?! :frowning:

Oh yeah I ask again, what's a good router to use? Is Netgear good? I've seen its name around

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I like wired ethernet. WiFi is only for convenience for me, so I'm still using pretty old Netgear R6300v2 with 3rd party firmware.

Can't really recommend newer routers, just go with 6E routers with good reviews on Amazon with your budget.

Reactions: StrawberryCookie
Oct 9, 2024
Found this.

I wonder if your dlink is filtering some udp traffic. Turn off all filtering feature if there is any.

And have you turn off AI Wi-Fi Optimizer feature mentioned in post #39?
I can't really pin it on d-link router or the AI exactly, because it was still bugging like this when we just had the previous router spectrum gave us... do you think changing the modem would do anything? We're still using the modem they gave us

Ralston18

Titan
@StrawberryCookie

Changing the modem may or may not help.

What would help is some sense of the bigger network "picture".

Here is a generic line diagram that is applicable to most home networks.

Connection path being the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable and ~~~~> wireless connection.

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Other wired network devices: Computers, Access Points, Printers, NAS, Switches, TVs, etc..

The line diagram can be copied, pasted, and edited into your next post.

Feel to edit and correct as necessary so that the line diagram shows all of the devices and connections in your network. Add, delete, identify,etc.. Number the ports to match existing connections.

Expand the line diagram to include device make and model information.

Do pay close attention to device ports: WAN, LAN. Take your time, no need to rush through it. If unsure just do the best you can and post the applicable question or concern(s).

Oct 9, 2024
@StrawberryCookie

Changing the modem may or may not help.

What would help is some sense of the bigger network "picture".

Here is a generic line diagram that is applicable to most home networks.

Connection path being the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable and ~~~~> wireless connection.

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Other wired network devices: Computers, Access Points, Printers, NAS, Switches, TVs, etc..

The line diagram can be copied, pasted, and edited into your next post.

Feel to edit and correct as necessary so that the line diagram shows all of the devices and connections in your network. Add, delete, identify,etc.. Number the ports to match existing connections.

Expand the line diagram to include device make and model information.

Do pay close attention to device ports: WAN, LAN. Take your time, no need to rush through it. If unsure just do the best you can and post the applicable question or concern(s).
ISP === Spectrum (fiber) ===> Modem ----> SONUV1N [WAN Port] Router D-Link Eagle Pro AI AX3200 Smart Router R32 [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Ethernet --> Windows 11(works)

ISP === Spectrum (fiber) ===> Modem ----> SONUV1N [WAN Port] Router D-Link Eagle Pro AI AX3200 Smart Router R32 [LAN Port] ----> WiFi Access Point --- IPad (this also works)

ISP === Spectrum (fiber) ===> Modem ----> SONUV1N [WAN Port] Router D-Link Eagle Pro AI AX3200 Smart Router R32 [LAN Port] ----> WiFi Access Point --- Samsung S9 fe + Other android devices (Doesn't work with Discord calling )

ISP === Tracfone hotspot WiFi Access Point ---- Samsung Tablet S9 fe (works )

I'm not sure if this is the entirely correct formatting but my stepdad sat down and helped me.. ahhh

:beurk:

Ralston18

Titan
Nicely done on the line diagrams.

Make and model modem information? Just for the record....

At this time I do not believe that the modem is a problem per se. TBD.

It appears that all works well up to and including the Wifi Access Point(s).

As I understand the line diagrams you have two Access points: 1) served by wired connection to the router, and 2) the Tracfone wireless hot spot.

Do you know what IP addresses those devices and all other devices are using?

This router:

https://support.dlink.com/resource/PRODUCTS/R32/R32_A1_Manual_v1.01(WW).pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

The manual is very long and detailed. And, for the moment you do not want to or need to change anything.

Start with verifying the Router's IP address. Likely the commonly used 192.168.0.1 And the router should be using the commonly used subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

All network devices must look for and find the router at 192.168.0.1 or whatever IP address has been used for the router. The IP address can be changed by end users with administrative rights to the router's configuration menus.

The router likely has some page that lists or shows all connected network devices, their name, IP address, and MAC. I did not note any specific screens or listings - likely some admin feature needs to be clicked.

On your Windows 11 computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Verify that the DNS Gateway is indeed the router at 192.168.0.1. (The manual refers to a simplifed "ipconfig" on physically numbered Page 146).

Overall, your task at this point is to figure out the IP addresses of all network devices. And if those IP addresses are fixed (Static) or dynamic (DHCP). Discord may be a problem because of some IP address conflict. Again, no need to change anything - just discover more details about the network.

My thought being that there is a conflict with respect to the Access Points being used.

And you can list those "Private" IP addresses.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-public-ip-address-2625974

Do not post your public IP address (provided to the router by your ISP).

Oct 9, 2024
Nicely done on the line diagrams.

Make and model modem information? Just for the record....

At this time I do not believe that the modem is a problem per se. TBD.

It appears that all works well up to and including the Wifi Access Point(s).

As I understand the line diagrams you have two Access points: 1) served by wired connection to the router, and 2) the Tracfone wireless hot spot.

Do you know what IP addresses those devices and all other devices are using?

This router:

https://support.dlink.com/resource/PRODUCTS/R32/R32_A1_Manual_v1.01(WW).pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

The manual is very long and detailed. And, for the moment you do not want to or need to change anything.

Start with verifying the Router's IP address. Likely the commonly used 192.168.0.1 And the router should be using the commonly used subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

All network devices must look for and find the router at 192.168.0.1 or whatever IP address has been used for the router. The IP address can be changed by end users with administrative rights to the router's configuration menus.

The router likely has some page that lists or shows all connected network devices, their name, IP address, and MAC. I did not note any specific screens or listings - likely some admin feature needs to be clicked.

On your Windows 11 computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Verify that the DNS Gateway is indeed the router at 192.168.0.1. (The manual refers to a simplifed "ipconfig" on physically numbered Page 146).

Overall, your task at this point is to figure out the IP addresses of all network devices. And if those IP addresses are fixed (Static) or dynamic (DHCP). Discord may be a problem because of some IP address conflict. Again, no need to change anything - just discover more details about the network.

My thought being that there is a conflict with respect to the Access Points being used.

And you can list those "Private" IP addresses.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-public-ip-address-2625974

Do not post your public IP address (provided to the router by your ISP).
This should be my modem's manual :)

Yeah, the only things hooked up via Ethernet cable are my PC and my stepdad's PC. Everything else is with Wifi :miam:

Okay! I won't touch any more settings for now...

192.168.0.1 is what I enter in the url bar to access the router settings, yes, subnet is also 255.255.255.0 according to the home page in the router's settings :vendredi:

Here's the list of our devices :) (Not sure what every single thing is, but I can assume what most of them are, and some have names like the name of my computer and my nintendo switch, and my tablet)

View: https://imgur.com/a/k8i8QAA

I wasn't sure what to censor or not still... I ran the command on my PC, could you mark what needs to be censored on the command prompt list? I'm sorry I'm really bad with numbers and code sometimes and don't wanna make a mistake (should be 2nd imgur image)

View: https://imgur.com/a/2JWLWks

I also still have the router DNS / secondary DNS set on 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4