Question What are these on the power supply? 8 pin surface mount ic chips soldered in a series there are 12-13 of them.

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
What are the black 8 pin ic chips soldered in a series there are 12-13 of them. Are they surface mount mosfets? I need to cool them using a heat sink. I was going to use thermal glue to put the heat sink on. Will that harm the chips? I would circle them for you but i don't have an option to edit the image.
HDPLEX.500W.DCATX.4.jpg

CAN i USE THERMAL GLUE ON THOSE CHIPS OR WILL THAT BREAK THEM?

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Are they surface mount mosfets?
Yes they look like MOSFETS, although why you should need to cool them is a mystery. They might be part of the OCP (Over Current Protection) but that's purely a guess on my part.

Power supply designers usually attach heatsinks when necessary. The MOSFETS are probably rated up to 125 °C. Best way to find out is read the number off the chip and download the data sheet.

I was going to use thermal glue to put the heat sink on. Will that harm the chips?
Yes, you can glue heatsinks on to semiconductors.
https://www.masterbond.com/industries/heat-sink-attachment
Supreme%2018TC.JPG

Just make sure the glue isn't electrically conductive. If it's really tenacious, you might rip the top off the MOSFETS if you ever need to remove the heatsinks, e.g. for an RMA. Have you considered this might invalidate the warranty?