Question Doubts about damage to my external HDD ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Some people say that there are several models of the same brand and some stop spinning and others don't stop spinning when the HDD is ejected from Windows. Do manufacturers cut costs by reducing parts when manufacturing the 2.5" HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
Some people say that there are several models of the same brand and some stop spinning and others don't stop spinning when the HDD is ejected from Windows. Do manufacturers cut costs by reducing parts when manufacturing the 2.5" HDD?
That is a completely new question, and cannot be answered.

2.5" HDDs have been used in laptops for decades.
I have a couple, from before the turn of the century.

If they were as fragile as you seem to think, we would never have had laptops.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Why do some 2.5" HDDs not turn off after ejecting in Windows 10? Is this behavior common? Two people told me that they have several models of the same brand, some turn off, others do not, and this is a problem if when the hand hits the HDD case, the mechanical arm and the needle scratch the HDD. My HDD is very quiet. I only saw the LED turn on after ejecting in Windows 10. I have the models Seagate ST500LM030, WD WD10JPVX-08JC3T5, HGTS HTS541010A99E662
enclosure cases USB 3.0 Orico 25pw1 and Kesu 2530
If Windows 10 eject fails and does not power off the HDD, is there any other protection against hand shocks on the side of the case not damage or generates bad secxtors in hdd?
0edfcab7-c9ac-4c92-90d7-8373f7a7e8dc.png

USAFRet

Titan
If Windows 10 eject fails and does not power off the HDD, is there any other protection against hand shocks on the side of the case not damage or generates bad secxtors in hdd?
Hard drives are built to withstand a certain amount of shock or movement.

I don't know what specific drive you have, but as an example...
Western Digital 3.5" Blue
Shock limit, in Gs:
When operating, 70g for 2ms
When not operating, 250g for 2ms.

If you had hit that drive with your hand, with anything approaching "70g"...it would have left a very nasty bruise, at the least.

It.
Is.
Fine;

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Hard drives are built to withstand a certain amount of shock or movement.

I don't know what specific drive you have, but as an example...
Western Digital 3.5" Blue
Shock limit, in Gs:
When operating, 70g for 2ms
When not operating, 250g for 2ms.

If you had hit that drive with your hand, with anything approaching "70g"...it would have left a very nasty bruise, at the least.

It.
Is.
Fine;
Is this resistance to prevent the HDD from dying or preventing any type of damage, including the actuator arm scratching the magnetic disks generates bad sectors? Do all 2.5" HDD models and any brand have this protection? I mentioned the 3 models that I have

I had never read about this resistance, they told me that HDDs were very fragile for any type of impact, shock

my models Seagate ST500LM030, WD WD10JPVX-08JC3T5, HGTS HTS541010A99E662

you posted resistance for 3.5" hdds more my hdds are 2.5"

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
2 ms: 300 g is strong for 2.5" hdds? I don't know how to measure the force of a shock when you pull the USB 3.0 cable from your PC it comes out and your hand hits the side of the HDD
what they told me was that 2.5" HDDs were very fragile

USAFRet

Titan
2 ms: 300 g is strong for 2.5" hdds? I don't know how to measure the force of a shock when you pull the USB 3.0 cable from your PC it comes out and your hand hits the side of the HDD
what they told me was that 2.5" HDDs were very fragile
"fragile", as in if you knock it off the desk onto a tile floor, while running.

Hitting it with your hand?
No.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
WD WD10JPVX-08JC3T5, HGST HTS541010A99E662 i not found informations these protections i have two models

this protection is related with auto-parking?