AMA MSI Comet Lake Z490 Motherboard AMA and Giveaway

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSI_GeoX

Official Forum Representative
Mar 27, 2020
Hi MSI!

From a strictly gaming perspective, are there any particular MSI Z490 motherboards that offer compelling features for gamers? Which motherboards? What features? I was looking over the MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK and MPG Z490 GAMIMG Plus. Thanks!

Hey there! All of our Z490 motherboards from our more entry level boards to our enthusiast boards contain tons of features that are useful for gamers. Many of our motherboards such as the Tomahawk you mentioned have tons of peripheral connectivity support which is crucial for gamers, streamers especially, that need to have a mouse, keyboard, webcam, microphones, headsets, stream decks, VR systems, etc. connected to their PC. Reinforced PCI-Express slots help support graphics cards that keep getting bigger and bigger easier. For gamers looking to push every possible ounce of power from their systems by overclocking, we have models with powerful VRM designs and great M.2 cooling such as the Godlike and Ace. Many gamers love the RGB aesthetic and it is certainly there with the vast majority of our Z490 line-up.

In addition, our motherboards are compatible with MSI Dragon Center software that has hardware optimization software with Game Boost and Gaming Mode to get a customized experience on a per game basis. It can even pick out in game highlights for you to share with others if you so desire.

Reactions: omegadoom13
May 13, 2020
My question is a two-part question and I hope that's ok. First off, what is the difference between the B450 MAX Series motherboards and the Z490 Series motherboards. Secondly, would you say the Z490 gaming edge wifi motherboard is superior to the B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard?

yellowcardyc

Jan 8, 2020
Will any of the new z490 boards have watercooled vrm's or something to that affect?
We don't have onboard watercooler VRM. But we're working with EKWB and Bitspower. There'll be customized water blocks for GODLIKE, ACE and Gaming Carbon covering both VRM and CPU.

Reactions: TraxxisHD
May 13, 2020
We don't have onboard watercooler VRM. But we're working with EKWB and Bitspower. There'll be customized water blocks for GODLIKE, ACE and Gaming Carbon covering both VRM and CPU.
That's great, because that seems to be a more and more common feature on high end motherboards.

yellowcardyc

Jan 8, 2020
My question is a two-part question and I hope that's ok. First off, what is the difference between the B450 MAX Series motherboards and the Z490 Series motherboards. Secondly, would you say the Z490 gaming edge wifi motherboard is superior to the B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard?
B450 is the mainstream chipset for AMD and Z490 is the enthusiast chipset for Intel processors. These two are different segmegments. Price and feature wise, Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi is more expensive than B450 Tomahawk Max.

- Do you guys at MSI have any inside information on how long the new platforms will last? (In terms of future CPU generation compatibility.)

- What are the CPU power delivery capability figures (in watts) for Z490 motherboards' line-up?

Last edited:

yellowcardyc

Jan 8, 2020
- Do you guys at MSI have any inside information on how long the new platforms will last? (In terms of future CPU generation compatibility.)

- What are the CPU power delivery capability figures (in watts) for Z490 motherboards' line-up?

Z490 will support new CPU in the feature, so it'll last at least 1 year. MSI GODLIKE/ACE/Unify have 16phase, 90A VRM , that's 1440A(16x90A), overkill VRM for overclocked i9-10900K. MPG series has powerful 12-phase 12x60A or 12x50A VRM too.

Reactions: vov4ik_il
May 13, 2020
Hey there, thanks for taking time to answer our questions.
I was looking at the laptops MSI offers:
The Titan series is labeled as a desktop killer. In my mind that would indicate we could condense the benefits of a desktop(customization, swappable components and more space for components).
is it just the performance or are there other things about the newest laptops that make them a desktop killer? Would killing desktops even be a desired outcome?
Sorry just curious as I’ve primarily used desktop for gaming and laptops for work or school in the past.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
Will MSI ever release every possible pc component for a complete system? For example, like MSI ram. I always wanted to make a PC with just MSI parts!

Edit: Just realized that it was supposed to be a question about the Z490 motherboard. Oops. Well, anyways, will the Z490 fully support PCIe 4.0 when 11th gen intel processors come out?

Last edited:

yellowcardyc

Jan 8, 2020
Hey there, thanks for taking time to answer our questions.
I was looking at the laptops MSI offers:
The Titan series is labeled as a desktop killer. In my mind that would indicate we could condense the benefits of a desktop(customization, swappable components and more space for components).
is it just the performance or are there other things about the newest laptops that make them a desktop killer? Would killing desktops even be a desired outcome?
Sorry just curious as I’ve primarily used desktop for gaming and laptops for work or school in the past.

It's performance. Titan series laptops use desktop CPUs and have very good CPU performance. This is why it's labeled as a desktop killer. Titan offers a good choice for desktop performance and mobility.

yellowcardyc

Jan 8, 2020
Will MSI ever release every possible pc component for a complete system? For example, like MSI ram. I always wanted to make a PC with just MSI parts!
As of now, no plan for RAM and other PC components. But we have chassis products and will offer Liquid Cooler.

Reactions: jitteRs

yellowcardyc

Jan 8, 2020

Edit: Just realized that it was supposed to be a question about the Z490 motherboard. Oops. Well, anyways, will the Z490 fully support PCIe 4.0 when 11th gen intel processors come out?

Yes all MSI Z490 motherboards will support PCIe 4.0. But only PCIe slot and M.2 slot connected to CPU support PCIe 4.0. Z490 chipset doesn't support PCIe 4.0, and slots connected to chipset will not have PCIe 4.0 bandwidth.

Reactions: jitteRs
Status
Not open for further replies.