[SOLVED] MSI Cooler 3 pin to 4 pin motherboard issue

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
Hello,
My motherboard is an ASUS Strix B-550-F. I recently purchased an MSI Mag Core Liquid 280 R Cooler.
I discovered on installation that the MSI cooler has a 3 pin connector to make the pump work, but my motherboard has a 4 pin AIO pump header.

I found a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter on Amazon. Is it as simple as attaching this adapter to make the pump on the cooler
work?

Thank you very much!

Hello,
My motherboard is an ASUS Strix B-550-F. I recently purchased an MSI Mag Core Liquid 280 R Cooler.
I discovered on installation that the MSI cooler has a 3 pin connector to make the pump work, but my motherboard has a 4 pin AIO pump header.

I found a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter on Amazon. Is it as simple as attaching this adapter to make the pump on the cooler
work?

Thank you very much!
3pin fan/pump fits into 4pin header and is keyed to fit only one and proper way. If it's a fan, you should set in BIOS to work in Voltage (adjustment) mode instead of PWM. Same thing if it's a pump but in your case it should be set to run at full speed.
You can do one better as your MB has AIO_PUMP connector to plug pump in.

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
3pin fan/pump fits into 4pin header and is keyed to fit only one and proper way. If it's a fan, you should set in BIOS to work in Voltage (adjustment) mode instead of PWM. Same thing if it's a pump but in your case it should be set to run at full speed.
You can do one better as your MB has AIO_PUMP connector to plug pump in.
Hello,

work?

Thank you very much!
You do not need an adapter.
The 4 pin motherboard connector is slotted so it will take 3 or 4 pin fans/pumps.

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
Thank you both so much for your replies, I greatly appreciate your time.
After I wrote my question I did look at the connector on the MSI Cooler and noticed it was keyed. I did offer it up to the mother board header and it did seem to fit. But, I still was not sure if it could be done this way. So, I thank you BOTH for your replies regarding the keyed fitting of the connector.

Count Mike~~ May I please just verify to be sure I am understanding the last line of your reply regarding the AIO Pump connector on the MB. Does this header have the ability to adjust the speed of the pump when the computer (CPU) is under a greater load? And, is that what you were refering to as doing one better?

Thank you so much again in advance...

Thank you both so much for your replies, I greatly appreciate your time.
After I wrote my question I did look at the connector on the MSI Cooler and noticed it was keyed. I did offer it up to the mother board header and it did seem to fit. But, I still was not sure if it could be done this way. So, I thank you BOTH for your replies regarding the keyed fitting of the connector.

Count Mike~~ May I please just verify to be sure I am understanding the last line of your reply regarding the AIO Pump connector on the MB. Does this header have the ability to adjust the speed of the pump when the computer (CPU) is under a greater load? And, is that what you were refering to as doing one better?

Thank you so much again in advance...
No, that header is not speed adjustable as most AIOs need pump to run full speed all the time. It's radiator fans that need speed adjustment according to CPU temps so they should be plugged in CPU_FAN header.

Does this header have the ability to adjust the speed of the pump when the computer (CPU) is under a greater load? And, is that what you were refering to as doing one better?
You connect fans on radiator (with Y type splitter) to CPU_FAN header.
You connect pump to AIO_PUMP header on motherboard.

AIO_PUMP doesn't need to be regulated. It has to run at full speed all the time.

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
SkyNetRising
Thank you so much for your reply. I am understanding now about the pump speed having to be 100%.
On inspection of the motherboard I did notice a CPU fan and CPU fan OPT headers and I guess from your
post it is in fact these that have the ability of fan speed control.
Thanks again!

You connect fans on radiator (with Y type splitter) to CPU_FAN header.
You connect pump to AIO_PUMP header on motherboard.

AIO_PUMP doesn't need to be regulated. It has to run at full speed all the time.
[/QUO

SkyNetRising
Thank you so much for your reply. I am understanding now about the pump speed having to be 100%.
On inspection of the motherboard I did notice a CPU fan and CPU fan OPT headers and I guess from your
post it is in fact these that have the ability of fan speed control.
Thanks again!
That cooler has 2 x 140mm fans and you can connect one to CPU_FAN and other into CPU_Optional.

TRENDING THREADS