[SOLVED] MSI CORE FROZR L Not working, as advertised?

Mar 10, 2019
So I've recently got an MSI CORE FROZR L, and I figured it would be better than my stock cooler. I had my Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd at 3.6ghz on the stock cooler. I was hoping I could reach 4ghz on the frozr l. The heatsink is huge, and overall looks like a great cooler. I put it in, and everything booted up fine, but my CPU temps were jumping back between 39c, and 41c. I thought it'd go down, so I ran a cinebench test, and my PC crashed. I downclocked it to 3.5ghz, and it shot up to 100c, but didn't crash during the cinebench test. So at this point I'm pretty disappointed that my stock cooler does a better job, and I want to know why?

My specs:

Ryzen 7 1700
AsRock B450m pro 4
DDR4 Viper Elite 8gb
Red Devil RX 580 8gb
650 watt raidmax 80plus bronze PSU

Mar 10, 2019
Did you apply new thermal paste? Connect the heatsink fan to the motherboard CPU fan header? Either your paste job is bad or it's not mounted properly.
Well, I'm not an expert, but I'm certainly not an idiot. Luckily the box came with some MSI brand thermal paste. Don't know if it's any good, but I did apply it. I cleaned off any old thermal paste from before, and applied pea sized amount. I also obviously plugged it into the fan header, otherwise the fan wouldn't be spinning. Now, I may have mounted it wrong, because it's a bit loose, so I'll take it apart, and try again tomorrow. Other than that, everything seems fine. The fan spins. My paste job isn't horrendous, but certainly not perfect. So I really don't know why it crashed on the cinebench test.

Mar 10, 2019
Were those temps with the 4 GHz overclock you mentioned? What voltage?

Maybe revert to your previous settings (or stock) while troubleshooting.
I didn't attempt 4ghz yet. After installing the new cooler I ran a cinebench test. My CPU was OC'd at 3.6ghz. Just seconds after the run, the temps shot up to 77c, and the PC crashed. After a reboot I lowered it to 3.5ghz. The temps hit 100c, but my pc didn't crash. After that I ran a benchmark with CPUz to see if I got the same results, and oddly enough I didn't. At 3.5ghz my temps were stable at below 65c. The test went fine. So could it be cinebench?

Mar 10, 2019
It may be worth taking off your cooler and repasting/reinstalling it, just in case (if you haven't done that already).
So I have great news! Turns out the cooler was just a tad loose. I took it apart, and back together, and made sure everything was nice, and tight. PC booted up successfully, and I ran a cinebench test. At just 3.6ghz, my temps were at a constant 50c, and I scored above the 1700x (i own the non x variant). I did however run out of thermal paste. I had just a tiny bit left, but I guess it's enough for now. I bought some arctic paste, so that should be coming soon. Here's an image of my cinebench score:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mNLCRRUAAXd-9Yr0LKGROQ8xhWPo2Kq8

Reactions: TJ Hooker