MSI Develops Dust Removal Tech for GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
I doubt it can remove the nicotine/weed dust which always resides in the fans.

Its even hard to remove with an ear wax cleaner.
Mabye if the used Teflon blades that would help some.

But i am however interested in the colour tep changing tech. i could use that as a temp monitior by looking at the colurs in the case..

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Reverse spinning fans have been around for ages, I think the PS3 even has a mode to reverse the fans for a few seconds. About time it made it into GPU's. It should really be in every system fan.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
While I don't expect wonders from this technique, I think it may actually slow down dust from clogging up heatsinks. It should be widely implemented in all cooling fans.

Anyway, I will keep dusting out my PC at least twice a year (compressed air does wonders) and vacuuming the case filters weekly.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I can imagine it being very loud with fans on 100% for 30 seconds, but if it helps with cooling then it's a small price to pay. =]

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Too little, too late, I went water cooling system wide and HEPA filters on the case years ago.[/citation]

how about the rest of us? dont we matter?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It won't work, not so much that it'll make a difference. You can't remove dust by simply blowing on it, you need compressed air.

Once every couple of months I take a couple of hours to disassemble my box, clean every component (including the inside of the PSU) and put it back together again. Seems to work and makes me feel like a man, getting my hands dirty and all that.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Too little, too late, I went water cooling system wide and HEPA filters on the case years ago.[/citation]

Is your PSU water cooled too?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lesz422[/nom]how about the rest of us? dont we matter?[/citation]
Are you asking if you matter to me, or to MSI?
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Is your PSU water cooled too?[/citation]
My case keeps the PSU in its own sealed compartment at the bottom, the fan evacuates air directly downwards and out, and the air intake has also been retrofitted with a HEPA filter.

The last time I had to clean dust from my machine was when I wiped the top of the case with a cloth. The inside is like a surgical bay.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The inside is like a surgical bay.[/citation]

Surgical bay, that sounds very nice. I'm thinking of installing liquid cooling too.

But... you know that there is dust in your PSU despite the filter? Doesn't that bother you? You know it's just sitting there, accumulating and restricting airflow... :evilgrin:

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Surgical bay, that sounds very nice. I'm thinking of installing liquid cooling too.But... you know that there is dust in your PSU despite the filter? Doesn't that bother you? You know it's just sitting there, accumulating and restricting airflow...[/citation]
The filters do a pretty good job, every 6 months I blast key points with a can of compressed air. The PSU, the opening tray of the optical drive, the card reader. It also helps if you swap out the HEPA filters regularly and clean them.

Running a PC is like running a house, a reasonable outlay for cleanliness and a small amount of basic housekeeping can make a world of difference. Otherwise you are always fighting a losing battle against dirt and grime.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
That said, the dust removal "tech" may not be too useful for those who keep their desktops powered up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Sure but if you keep it running for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, will dust stick to it?

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
It's not a good idea. It should be done once a week or so. Every single time you start your pc, your gpu fan is going to be running 100%?! It's going to be the nosiest pc start ever! Anyway, if you're not dumb you clean your pc at least twice a year and you're free of dust.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
and where does all this dust go???? back on the block once it gets sucked in by the fans?...this make no sense....we need a way to get rid of it and not just blow it around on other PC components....FAIL

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
HEPA for computer cooling....overkill

This only knocks out some of the fluf but not the film that sticks to the fins. As one had already said when there is a smoker it takes a lot of effort to actually get the cooler clean. I don't like this type of cooler due to how it exhausts heat back into the case and allows for a lot of dust to build up on the pcb. The fans are also known from other brands as well including msi as seen in video are brittle and often cheaply made.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]HEPA for computer cooling....overkill[/citation]
Last summer I had to locate the PC in the conversatory to stop my toddler trashing it whilst the study was being redecorated. That is also where the cat, who sheds fur like it is unfashionable, sleeps at night and during the day the temperature inside with the windows closed peaked at 66 degrees C, (that's 150 degrees fahrenheit).

Anything other than my current setup would have seen a machine choked to death on cat hair and dirt or burnt out. As it was the filters did a sterling job and the maximum temp the CPU ever got to was 70C, a whopping 4C above ambient.

OK, so it's not the cheapest option, but to see it perform under the extremes makes it worth every penny.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It won't work, not so much that it'll make a difference. You can't remove dust by simply blowing on it, you need compressed air.Once every couple of months I take a couple of hours to disassemble my box, clean every component (including the inside of the PSU) and put it back together again. Seems to work and makes me feel like a man, getting my hands dirty and all that.[/citation]

Also no one has asked: Where does the dirt go?

Is like that stupid blower that we see on the streets where someone is blowing the leaves from the sidewalk to the street (or to the nearest neighbor) it doesn't clean anything.

Same thing inside a computer case, if you blow dust from one component but simply blow it towards other components how is that helping anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.