MSI Drops Five Graphics Cards Into The GTX 1080 Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then either the chart is wrong, or I just don't get the math ?

GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G = 10108 ... isn't that bigger ?
GTX 1080 Sea Hawk = 10010

And even if it's the same, why spend the extra $100 ?

Why is it the best solution, what does it bring to the table ? Are these new designs now cooling the memory and VRM? Does it allow increased performance ? It didn't on the 9xx series, it didn't on the 7xx series. And I say that sitting with 2 full cover water blocks, twin pumps, 5 x 1400mm of rad and 10 fans.

Yes my cards run cooler, but it has had no impact on GFX card performance. In fact air cooled builds we have done clocked higher. I built a custom loop system for silence, not increased performance.

My cards run at 44C ... so what ? the cards don't start throttling to 80C and the air cooled cards are topping out in the mid 60sn when OC'd to the max. So if if the cards not throttling when in full overclock, what will twin Sea Hawks bring to the table ?

Jbowen867

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Why do they have to make the hybrid card look like a freaking vhs tape??just a black box? Evga will look so much better I hope

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I'm interested to see the performance and sound levers of the blower cooler. I'm probably going to go for a blower style cooler for my elite 130 Gaming rig.

Check the reviews ... if ya look at 7xx and 9xx series, blower style coolers never reach the performance of their non blower brethren. Somehow or another folks have a conceptual idea that blowing all the air thru that small hole is a great but it just doesn't pan out in testing. Blowing some out thru the case slot and the rest of the air into the case and having the case fans remove that air results in lower GPU and VRM temps.

I have also seen instances where peeps used a blower style cooler and had an equal number or less intake fanss than exhaust fans. Intake fans produce less air flow because of the inlet air restriction. So when there's more air being blown out then in, 'make up air' must come from somewhere ... and what happens is ... air exiting the blower cooler comes out the rear slot and is sucked right back in thru the rear case grille. Discussed this with several users and they adamantly have argued that it was not happening ... until I plugged in the fog machine at which point ya can see it happening.

I agree, I'd never get a blower style cooler. But some people were crying in defense of reference cards because of that style cooler, by which we now have non-reference blower cards, making the Founder's Edition more pointless.

MR B0CEPHUS

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I have MSI components, including a 980 ti, and love all of them. Still kicking butt. I'll be getting one of these babies.

I dunno what FE is going to be about ... lotta criticism, none based upon known facts. The term special components can mean a lot of things but still ... they cant risk alienating their partners and not give them something to build on.

EVGA, Zotac and MSI used the reference voltage controller for the 9080 Ti, Asus rebranded theirs so don't know what it is ... Gigabyte used one not seen before so don't know anything about that either. As their market position has grown, nVidia seems to be putting making less and less options available to vendors to distinguish themselves from one another.

We'll know soon.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Wow! of course the chart is wrong, that's why I gave a link showing the correct mem speed.

The sea hawk is a hybrid with a blower that exhausts hot air out of the case and it has WC, that's why it cost more.

MSRP is not street price and prices tend to go down over time.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Some people are happy to pay more for silence and performance. I have the Sea Hawk 980ti and it runs at 68 degrees C in summer at 1405Mhz out the box. I'll never ever go back to a blower or twin fan design that vents into the case. I had an MSI Radeon 290 Gaming with twin fan and the noise was plain stupid (I bought a kit and watercooled a stock 290X after sending the MSI back).

So why spend the extra $100? 2 years of silence #worthit

solisson

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I am so excited to pick up the Gaming X 8G edition of this card! I love the look and specs of this card. I have never been so excited to throw $600 dollars at a company in my entire life!

solisson

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I am so excited to pick up the Gaming X 8g edition version in when I can afford it sometime in mid-June! This GPU has had me the most hyped I've ever been to drop $600 USD in my entire life!!!!

mrmez

Splendid
Check the reviews ... if ya look at 7xx and 9xx series, blower style coolers never reach the performance of their non blower brethren. Somehow or another folks have a conceptual idea that blowing all the air thru that small hole is a great but it just doesn't pan out in testing. Blowing some out thru the case slot and the rest of the air into the case and having the case fans remove that air results in lower GPU and VRM temps.

I have also seen instances where peeps used a blower style cooler and had an equal number or less intake fanss than exhaust fans. Intake fans produce less air flow because of the inlet air restriction. So when there's more air being blown out then in, 'make up air' must come from somewhere ... and what happens is ... air exiting the blower cooler comes out the rear slot and is sucked right back in thru the rear case grille. Discussed this with several users and they adamantly have argued that it was not happening ... until I plugged in the fog machine at which point ya can see it happening.

Blower fans are just entirely inefficient.
For their size and noise, they have much lower static pressure and much lower volume than a std fan.
Venting hot air out the case does provide a LITTLE extra efficiency, but nowhere near enough to overcome the cooling of two, let alone 3 std fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS