Question .MSI File Will Not Install - Run As Admin Missing From Menu

LunkerHead

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I've been on a long journey to find a solution to getting a simple .MSI file installed. I actually had this program install previously but I RE-installed Win7 OS to get rid of some bloat and now I've run into this little issue. I think several years ago the solution was to re-enable Windows UAC which to the effect of asking for permission to run, then going to the folder options under the security tab and the run as administrator dialogue appeared after re-enabling Windows UAC. But I couldn't remember the exact sequence. I did find this (sort of solution), but I'm having issues with this too:

Simply clicking on "install" a window pops up saying that it's installing and then it immediately disappears:

zj9I1q0.png

Run as Administrator is missing from the right click menu:

GeIw8Fj.png

So then after a search I found this solution that edits the registry:

https://superuser.com/questions/285167/how-can-i-run-msi-installer-with-administrator-rights

lCxBeih.png

And so I added the new key and DWORD value in the registry "Runas" and "Install As Administrator":

v3N2ZD6.png

And then this second new key under Runas "command" with the specific DWORD value listed in that forum:

ASp3eQ4.png

So then Run As Administrator is finally showing up in the right click menu:

XGHQqXs.png

So I'm thinking I got it, but then I get this error message when I try to install it "The file does not have a program associated with it to perform this action". Which I know can't be right because when I click on "install" it actually starts installing then shuts down and disappears:

AyCTkIP.png

Anybody got any tips?

You have to create a reg file and run it.
Your manual creation of reg entries gives incorrect result.

To see, what you did wrong, you can export runas branch, save it to file and check, if it matches the source.
Hint - it doesn't match.

BTW - to get Run AS option, you just have to click Shift before right-clicking on executable file.

Last edited:

LunkerHead

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
You have to create a reg file and run it.
Your manual creation of reg entries gives incorrect result.

To see, what you did wrong, you can export runas branch, save it to file and check, if it matches the source.
Hint - it doesn't match.

BTW - to get Run AS option, you just have to click Shift before right-clicking on executable file.

I tried that one before I tried the registry hack. Shift+Right Click/Run As Different User. I entered in my User Name and password and got the same thing as just clicking "Install". A window pops up saying that it is installing and then it quickly disappears and does not install.

I think it might have to do with "unsigned" or "incorrect" certificate security or something. The program is Libre Office.msi, not a microsoft .msi file. I was having issues with other security certificates after my RE-install until I got all the Windows 7 updates installed that were available. That fixed all that mess except this one. However I am not getting any error messages about certificates when I try to install the .msi file. I have my suspicions though.

Last edited:

LunkerHead

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Update:

I found the correct Syntax to correctly edit the registry at this link here:

Shortened Instructions:
Run/Regdit
Navagate to -> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell
Right click on shell and add the new key “runas” (without the quotes)
In the right pane, right click on "Default" and then "Modify" and then enter "Install as &administrator" (without the quotes) . Don't leave out the "&" before administrator. It's not a typo.
Right click on your newly created "runas" key and create a subkey and name it "command" (without the quotes).
In the right pane, double click on "Default" and enter this syntax msiexec /i “%1” (starts with m and ends with one 1" including the quote)
Exit regedit.

Now instead of "Run As Administrator" in the right click context menu I now am getting "Install As Administrator" in the right click menu:

ai0g22z.png

But.... now I am getting this dialogue box and I'm not sure what to do with it. When I click "OK" the box disappears and nothing happens. Am I supposed to modify the contents of the script in this box? The contents are editable. I have no idea what to put in there.

AKw1kpv.png

Here's the full text contents of that box:
__

Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.7601.24535

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
</package | /i> <Product.msi>
Installs or configures a product
/a <Product.msi>
Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Uninstalls the product
Display Options
/quiet
Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive
Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r|f]
Sets user interface level
n - No UI
b - Basic UI
r - Reduced UI
f - Full UI (default)
/help
Help information
Restart Options
/norestart
Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart
Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart
Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] <LogFile>
i - Status messages
w - Nonfatal warnings
e - All error messages
a - Start up of actions
r - Action-specific records
u - User requests
c - Initial UI parameters
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
o - Out-of-disk-space messages
p - Terminal properties
v - Verbose output
x - Extra debugging information
+ - Append to existing log file
! - Flush each line to the log
* - Log all information, except for v and x options
/log <LogFile>
Equivalent of /l* <LogFile>
Update Options
/update <Update1.msp>[;Update2.msp]
Applies update(s)
/uninstall <PatchCodeGuid>[;Update2.msp] /package <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Remove update(s) for a product
Repair Options
/f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Repairs a product
p - only if file is missing
o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)
e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed
d - if file is missing or a different version is installed
c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value
a - forces all files to be reinstalled
u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)
m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)
s - all existing shortcuts (default)
v - runs from source and recaches local package
Setting Public Properties
[PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Consult the Windows ® Installer SDK for additional documentation on the
command line syntax.

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.

_

Do I need to open the .msi package with WordPad and and search those parameters and add my 2 cents, save, then try to install it?

LunkerHead

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Typo with double quote symbols.
There are 3 different double quote symbols:
  1. "
See, if you can find the correct one. ;)

I tried 4 ways with the quote symbols:

Original 1

Then........

"1"
My keyboard only makes the
" quote symbols.
The " from my keyboard gave me the "Installing" box which then quickly disappeared. The other two style quotes bring up the dialogue where it seems like it's asking me to modify the contents of the dialogue before installation can continue. Like Windows installer needs to have those specified options set before installation.

tHGozqu.png

Last edited:

LunkerHead

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
New Update: Problem Solved

I downloaded the newest version of LibreOffice and the new download installed just fine. I didn't want to really install a newer version as I'm not a poweruser and I'm used to the setup and layout of the old version. But, I'll get used to the new version.

I would really like to figure out what that dialogue box with the script options was all about that popped up on the install of the old version and maybe how to modify it to make the old version install though.

Interesting thing on the new version download is that there is a Windows security update in the installation package.

eGZtotX.png