[SOLVED] msi gaming x trio 3080 pcie cables

Haxorx21

Honorable
Dec 14, 2015
With the msi trio 3080 I saw it has 3 8 pin power connectors on it and I wanted to know if it would be safe to run it with 2 separate 8 pins (18awg) with one being daisy chained until a psu with 3 separate 8 pin cables would arrive.

By safe I mean, no system crashes (other than drivers or new hardware bs), no melted wires from too much current, destroying the gpu, etc.

Solution
A Y-cable hasn't been a thing to be used with gpus for some time now, plus with the high power requirements of today's cards, you risk burning up the Y-cable - and more - doing that.

Haxorx21

Honorable
Dec 14, 2015
A Y-cable hasn't been a thing to be used with gpus for some time now, plus with the high power requirements of today's cards, you risk burning up the Y-cable - and more - doing that.
yeah that was my worry with that. If the wire was 16awg it likely would be fine but the 18awg rating of it has me iffy on using one cable for 2 8 pins

Haxorx21

Honorable
Dec 14, 2015
A single 8pin is rated for 150w. 2 is 300w.
If it does draw that kind of power, the Y-cable is going to run hot, and possibly burn up under extended load. I wouldn't risk it.
looking at reviews of it, the card seems to max at 350-360 watt draw. So if it was the 2 cables giving it 150 and then the pcie slot giving 75 that would be over the load draw. In that case, would the y cable still be a point of failure? All other 3080s from what I see only use 2 8pins and I just cant see why msi is using 3 for that card

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How do you decide how much is drawn from a particular port though? You don't.
Actual gaming loads aren't steady - they are gonna bounce around all the time.

You know what? It's probably fine - but I have OCD, and I'd rather not take a chance with a 700+USD gpu.

Haxorx21

Honorable
Dec 14, 2015
How do you decide how much is drawn from a particular port though? You don't.
Actual gaming loads aren't steady - they are gonna bounce around all the time.

You know what? It's probably fine - but I have OCD, and I'd rather not take a chance with a 700+USD gpu.
oh I totally understand you and Im just as sketched out about it as I dont know how power is drawn and if it is an equal distribution or if the first port is maxed out then the second and so on. I feel like it would be safe for the time being as long as no heavy benchmarks were done to really push it (ive seen some people using 2 cables with a chain on the third and the worst ive heard was a crash during benchmarks).

looking at reviews of it, the card seems to max at 350-360 watt draw. So if it was the 2 cables giving it 150 and then the pcie slot giving 75 that would be over the load draw. In that case, would the y cable still be a point of failure? All other 3080s from what I see only use 2 8pins and I just cant see why msi is using 3 for that card
Sounds like you'll be fine then. What's the worst that can happen?