MSI GE72VR Apache Pro Gaming Laptop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really impressed by the fact that not even 12GB of memory is enough now. Last time I checked 8gb was enough for even high end systems. I really wasn't expecting this to change so quickly. Makes me glad I recently upgraded from 8 to 16, but makes me feel that I will have to upgrade again sooner than expected.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
All those long heatpipes and so much wasted space JUST to keep the battery in the back. Imagine how much more efficient of a design it would be if they moved the motherboard flush to the back and shorter heatpipes going left and right.

Clamyboy74

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Pleas please please review a clevo laptop, any! If you want it to match up with simillar hardware to the ones you've already reviewed, try the P650rs-g aka sager np8156

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Are you going to test a MSI Dominator, too?
Maybe someone could should some light on the MSI gaming laptop branding with: Titan, Dominator, Apache, Stealth...

Henk Hilti

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
I don't know what is slowing down the GTX 1060 in this notebook but it for sure isn't the 12GB memory size (wrong assumption!!!).
Put is in a total of 16GB and you will see it will perform exactly the same ins games.

I expected a more thorough investigation from Tomshardware.

JeffDaemon

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
I'm not sure whats with the linked laptop but searching ge72vr nets you the cheaper laptop at the same specs. This is the laptop I have, and so far I have been pretty happy with it. Cooling is highly satisfactory, zero problems with gaming performance. Its a shame to see the poor lcd performance, I mostly use an external monitor but from what I have used of it, the lcd didn't seem BAD in anyway. I found it only a slightly worse then the IPS in my last notebook. About the only things I found disappointing was the lack of thunderbolt, and maybe the Xboost feature. In short, I reinstalled windows 10 from scratch outside of the box because I was getting 100% cpu spikes, and it may have been this feature. However because of that I have had no issues at all, I reinstalled MOST of MSI's software utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.