Feb 3, 2014
Hello,

I recently purchased an MSI GE75
CPU: 8750H
GPU: RTX 2080
RAM: 16Gb 2666MHz (single channel)
Memory: 500Gb SSD, 1TB HDD
Monitor: 144Hz

When playing games with uncapped frame rate, no V-sync. Game performance is alright. Some are better than others naturally. However Final Fantasy XV never goes above 50fps while the GPU is at like 75% and the CPU is at 60%. Final Fantasy 14 also tops out at 110fps with CPU @ 35% and GPU @ 70%.
I've already set windows and Nvidia Panel to max performance and power settings. I'm kind of out of ideas settings wise.

If I increase the resolution the fps barely changes.

Anyways, I'm stumped and can only think that maybe it's the fact that the system has single channel RAM. Hoping you guys might have some thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
What are your temps like? I have heard this laptop gets rather toasty and could just be thermal throttling.

And, good point about the single channel memory. Looking around at some articles, it seems the 16GB model comes with a spare DIM slot.

For example:

ChaosLegionaire

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Thermals are 80c CPU (reviews cite 90c is normal for extended use under load) and 75c on the GPU (80c is normal loaded). So hot, but nothing abnormal for a laptop. And the fps start at 55fps before even getting near those temps.

And yes, there is an extra SODIMM slot. Have 2 sticks of 8Gb 2666MHz Ripjaws on order atm. (REALLY hoping that fixes it)

Also verified that all 12 cores are being used and that they are all turboing up to 3.9MHz

Last edited:

ChaosLegionaire

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
UPDATE!!!

Got home and my new G.Skill RAM was ready and waiting for me. Got to my desk, took the 13 screws out and tried to pop the shell off. MAN what a pain this is to open.

PRO TIP: Use a guitar pick to separate the laptop's clam shell. Don't worry if you break some tabs.

After getting this bastard open the RAM is not easy to access. The single stick is underneath a heat pipe. Just be gentle and slightly lift up on the pipe so you can slide the stick out of the right hand side. Be careful with the cap or w/e it is that is in the way there. Once you get that out you should be able to just insert the new RAM from the top. The 2nd stick is a cinch to install from there.

PERFORMANCE UPDATE

The real reason for this update.

Going from the 1x 16Gb 2666Hz stick to the new G.Skill 2x 8Gb 2666Hz memory has had a MAJOR impact on performance. The boot time of the laptop itself is now super fast. And I was happy to see that when I started up FFXV I was now getting double my old fps. From 45fps to 85-90. No shit, I've never seen a jump like that before. And FF14 went from 110 to 150 fps. So all in all, WELL worth the upgrade.

*If you get a 2019 RTX laptop and only have 1 stick of RAM. BE SURE TO UPGRADE. Even if it's still only 16GB but in 2 sticks instead of one, it is a MUST upgrade in my book. *

Mar 15, 2019
Hey Guys,

Need some help if poss!
Got the same specs as Chaos Legionnaire - apart from the fact I have dual channel.
Experienced some great framerates with the GE75 rtx2080 - however at times I get massive drops for a second or two in fps from like 120/130 to 70. Cant figure out why this is happening. Don't think its thermal throttling as temps for GPU and CPU aren't going over 80c... - not overclocking either. Sometimes there is also micro-stuttering - with a few fps drop and then all back to normal.
Not sure if this is realted to the extra stored cached memory thing I've heard about recently.
Just seems strange that the system can handle extremely demanding games at really high fps levels - but every so often has these large or micro-stuttering lag spikes...

Any help/guidance whosever is very much appreciated!! Just got the laptop so very keen to get this running smoothly.:))
Take care all and thanks so much!!

TRENDING THREADS