MSI GeForce RTX 2080 & 2080 Ti GPUs Smile for the Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
So this is implying that Nvidia will lead with the 2080Ti? In the case of Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal, the 780, 980, and 1080 cards came out first followed by the Ti model a year later.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"So this is implying that Nvidia will lead with the 2080Ti? In the case of Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal, the 780, 980, and 1080 cards came out first followed by the Ti model a year later."

It depends what they release. I have a strong feeling that they are doing a 12nm large die for a new xx80ti and titan. Then everything else is going to be a rebrand of existing chips(the old 1080ti die is the new xx80, the old 1080 die is the new 1070 and 1060 etc). If that's true....it makes perfect sense to lead with the new xx80ti.

With the crash of crypto, the supposed overstock of pascal dies, as well as 7nm not being ready yet.....it would make a whole lot of sense to make 1(maybe 2) new die on 12nm(which is really just 16nm with a larger reticle limit) for the high end, and then rebrand everything else for the other segments.

I am not saying this is what they are going to do, just what i think they will do.

bugnguts

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
An early 2080ti release makes sense because nVIDIA is caught in a bit of a bind. The cryptocurrency boom and lack of significant competition from team Red gave them little reason for an earlier refresh. The problem is they milked the situation a little too long, 2 years. 7nm manufacturing has begun and within a year the process will be mature enough for good yields on large GPU/RTU dies. If they waited the normal 9 months for the ti release it would overlap next-generation chips that can easily have 50% higher transistor count. Instead, they release it now and still get sales from the enthusiast segment now and again when 3080 on 7nm node.

If this impending Ti release is actually true what you said makes a lot of sense. The other thing that is not noted is AMD likely will be on 7nm before Nvidia which rumors are pointing at end of Q1 2019 for Navi. So having the latest Ti model out before AMD's next refresh would be smart as well.

Newer node, significantly larger die sizes, and enthusiasts that haven't had a lot to choose from in a few years. Prices are going to be ugly on the new cards.

NVIDIA has a complete lineup if they just rebrand the overstock of Pascal parts they are sitting on. Would help move the old supply, and it fits the rumor of only a few cards having the ray tracing goodies. I suspect at the current time, the amount of silicon that needs to be dedicated to get reasonably performing, real-time ray tracing is more than a cut rate model card can spare while maintaining a price the corresponding market segment will bare.

We're still left to speculate just what performance impact the ray tracing feature will have on the high end models, so it still might not be a feature you see used much in games during this generation of cards.

The problem is if that 7nm will do anything more than lower power numbers. Right now AMD is not very competitive with nVidia and with this GPU out now it will push further away.

Just moving to 7nm is not enough. They need a new design. They also need to push a hardware DXR design as hardware raytracing will be the way to go.

I hear you, Navi is a new design but it is still tweaked version of GCN. I'm not sure if Navi will be competitive but 7nm does allow for a lot more transistors without increasing die sizes. It's way too early to say if hardware ray tracing is the way to go, I mean there is not even a single game out yet with ray tracing. We could be talking 5 years away before it really matters if a GPU has ray tracing in hardware.

AMD certainly does need to move away from GCN or change it radically which is what is slated for the GPU after Navi.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Tough to tell since they normally keep their Quadro nomenclature separate from the gaming. Last series was PXXXX while the gaming retained the GTX moniker. From reading above it seems some are banking on this being similar to Intel's Broadwell release. I'm taking everything with a grain of salt until the Monday release.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Think about it like this: 1100 seems only a little better than 1000. But 2000 seems way better than 1000. That's why I think they're probably now incrementing by 1000, instead of 100 per generation.

One thing I never knew is why they skipped the 800 series. Did they feel like Maxwell was that much better than Kepler, or was there an 800 series planned, which they cancelled before it ever saw the light of day?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

The article says they're both Turing-based and have tensor cores. So, the highest rebrand would have to be 2070.

stdragon

Admirable

See, this is why I don't work in marketing. :pfff: I mean, I get what your saying, and I suppose that is their line of thinking. But...I just disagree with it. After 11, they could have moved on to 12 and so on. Now, going from 20 to 21 will seem so lame. So by that measure, I guess they will move on to 30 after 20? Sheesh!

People in marketing are often idiots!

/end rant

Or people buying GPU's in many cases are idiots and it works to sell more GPU's. I'm not sure if it actually does but if bumping the number that much higher increases sales well then you would be stupid not to.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

Each 8pin is capable of delivering up to 150w (if you're running to spec) and upto 75w from the pci-e slot.
Most cards don't draw anywhere near 75w from the pci-e slot though, exceptions being cards with no extra pci-e power plugs and cards like the RX 480.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

videocardz has pictures of a Gigabyte RTX card including a clear picture of the backplate. It has 3 displayports, 1 HDMI and 1 USB-C

Status
Not open for further replies.