MSI GTX 1080 Boost Clocks

Glitchyz

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hi guys I bought my MSI GTX 1080 too but I have a problem which makes me crazy. I've just wanted to test my card so I downloaded Unigine Heaven. Everything was ok I did my first benchmark without OC and I got that score

FPS:
113.4 Score:
2856 Min FPS:
30.3 Max FPS:

But then I realized everyone gets 3k scores. So I overclocked my GPU like that from Afterburner

Core Voltage +75 Core Clock +90 Memory Clock +400

I got 2GHz.Then I made another benchmark and here is the results.

FPS:
119.6 Score:
3012 Min FPS:
27.1 Max FPS:

It was great for me. Finally I got my 3k so I turned everything to default settings from Afterburner and I reseted BIOS

But after then when I was getting 1683 MHz before OC I think (Actually I'm not sure even a little bit I didn't interested with MHz before OC) Now I get very often 1949 MHz or like that.

But I remember a little bit that I got 1683 most before OC. And when I looked the(Not sure again) MSI Gaming App 1683 was the last limit. But now I get 1949 MHz from Gaming Mode and 1873 MHz from silent mode. Did I messed up something ? I don't want to overclock my GPU what is the problem?

I use 8+6 pin and I think that happened with OC (Of course I turned it to default).Or It was always like that and I only saw the 1683 MHz.

Someone told me that its about GPU Boost 3.0 But the other guys without overeclock get 1800 MHz with founders edition. I got the 1949 with same degree.So I don't know please someone help me. Card uses like 1050 mV.

40k680.png

Solution

I think most cards get around the same boost speeds we are seeing, around 1950MHz-1985MHz. They just advertise boost speeds a little lower than that because not all cards will reach those speeds. If they advertise the boost clocks to high and not everyone is reaching them some of those people will want to RMA their cards. If they advertise lower boost clocks and some cards do better than the advertised speeds no one will complain.

A higher TDP might help the...

king3pj

Distinguished
That isn't the way boost clocks work. The 1823MHz is not a limit. It's just the boost clock the manufacturers think the card will be able to get. Nvidia's Boost 3.0 on the new Pascal cards will continue to boost your clock speed higher if you aren't near the temperature or power limits.

My Gigabyte G1 1070 typically boosts itself between 1950MHz and 1985MHz. I was going to manually overclock but since the max overclocks people have been able to achieve with these cards are between 2000MHz and 2100MHz I haven't felt the need yet.

I am still planning to manually overclock eventually because boost 3.0 doesn't increase the VRAM clock speeds.

Glitchyz

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Thank you very much. So why the other reference designs gets 1800 MHz at the same degrees? They're using GTX 1080 so they have GPU Boost 3 too?Someone said me it should be higher because MSI is 132% higher TDP default so it gets more MHz at same degrees. Do you agree that?

I'd take what ''they'' say with a grain of salt -- and boost 3.0 will have a bit to do with it its not the same as older boost like boost 2 . a lot more hangs on the card and how it holds voltage and temps also its more adjusting it to ''offsets'' , so with boost 3 you may need a more learning curve using it .

and don't forget about that ''luck of the draw'' thing on any card that may come in to play a lot more with 10 series cards and boost 3

thing is you can buy 10 same cards and all may run at different boost clocks only thing that gurenteed is what is stated in the cards specs

so if MSI show for your card it boosts to 1295 and your card is boosting 1325 your got a ''better'' card then MSI spec. then yours may do that and the next card may do 1400 out of the box and the next may just get that 1295 . [luck of the draw]

now as far as damage or anything you may of done when you tried to overclock ? well as they say overclocking is all ''your '' own risk . [thing is msi afterburner will kick the card back to default if you did a bad oc before any real damage occurs on clock and mem adjustments , but I cant say if so on any voltage increase ??]

king3pj

Distinguished

I think most cards get around the same boost speeds we are seeing, around 1950MHz-1985MHz. They just advertise boost speeds a little lower than that because not all cards will reach those speeds. If they advertise the boost clocks to high and not everyone is reaching them some of those people will want to RMA their cards. If they advertise lower boost clocks and some cards do better than the advertised speeds no one will complain.

A higher TDP might help the cards reach higher boost clocks because it has more headroom before reaching the power limit. I don't know why anyone would say that a higher TDP would result in higher clocks at the same temperatures as a lower TDP though. A higher TDP typically results in a higher temperature unless the cooler is strong enough to offset the extra power draw.

The main thing that will determine the boost clock in most situations is temperature. Even the cheapest 1070s and 1080s are usually able to achieve the same 2.0-2.1GHz overclocks. Some cards, like the founders edition, aren't able to maintain these overclocked speeds the entire time because of thermal throttling. Every review I have seen of a custom AIB model 1070s and 1080s has been able to overclock well though.

With the 1000 series seeming to have a limit to how far overclocks can go and even the cheaper models being able to hit those same limits Nvidia has basically eliminated the need to spend more for the higher end cards like the EVGA FTW and the cards with built in water coolers unless you have some kind of special circumstance that requires them.

Solution

Glitchyz

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Ok thank you both guys you helped me very much. About the GPU Boost 3.0 and this Curve thing.

In this video his default curve settings increasing 1850 most. But my default curve setting increasing until 2000 Mhz. Is it about the these TDP and temperature things? Or becuse of his default Card settings are for stock cards.Or both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2g7DJ4S-2s

Glitchyz

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Clock speeds are rises by tempreature. And when I'm with same degrees with a founders edition I have still more Clock speed because my Default Boost clocks are more than a stock one right?

king3pj

Distinguished
The reason your card boosts higher than the Founders Edition is most likely because most of the custom designs come with factory overclocks and they cool better than the Founders Edition. The start at a higher clock than founders to begin with and they also have better coolers so Nvidia's Boost 3.0 will push the clock speeds higher because the cards won't be thermal throttling.

This isn't just true for MSI. Gigabyte, EVGA, Asus, Zotac, and the other manufacturers all make Nvidia Pascal cards that perform similarly.