MSI GTX 1080 Duke

Lord_moustache

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
hey, I'm wondering how the gtx 1080 duke by msi is, as it is the cheapest 1080. I know it only has 3 heatpipes, but how are the temps and overclocking compared to something like a GTX 1070 FTW hybrid ?

Solution
It will run a little hotter, but it wont thermal throttle. The only thing you will have an issue with is you will probably run a fairly high fan curve for this card. What that means, is it will be louder than other cards. If you are in a room that needs to be quite, then you may want to get a different card. But if you are like me and game with a headset or have the volume pretty loud on the speakers, then it may not matter at all about the noise.

I see it on Newegg for $489 and it comes with a game. That is a pretty good price considering the MSRP is $500. The cheapest 1070 is $400 and the MSRP for the 1070 is $349. The 1070s are horrible overpriced due to mining. Go for the duke and enjoy.
The cheapest 1080 will easily outperform the most expensive and highest overclocked 1070. If you are considering a purchase between the two, definitely get the 1080.

In my opinion, you really should only go with water cooling for the top tier GPU, such as the 1080ti because generally after you figure the cost of the additional cooling, the pricing is competitive with the higher tier card. This is why you do not see hybrid cooling on the 1060, 1050ti, or the Vega 56.

All the hybrid cooler will do is remove the thermal wall for overclocking, and sometimes have a lower noise level air cooled cards.

Lord_moustache

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

ok, so definitely the 1080. But with only 3 heatpipes vs 6 in most cards, will it stay decently cool in a closed case (eclipse p400 tg)

It will run a little hotter, but it wont thermal throttle. The only thing you will have an issue with is you will probably run a fairly high fan curve for this card. What that means, is it will be louder than other cards. If you are in a room that needs to be quite, then you may want to get a different card. But if you are like me and game with a headset or have the volume pretty loud on the speakers, then it may not matter at all about the noise.

I see it on Newegg for $489 and it comes with a game. That is a pretty good price considering the MSRP is $500. The cheapest 1070 is $400 and the MSRP for the 1070 is $349. The 1070s are horrible overpriced due to mining. Go for the duke and enjoy.

Solution

Lord_moustache

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

cool ! thanks for your help ;)