Question MSI GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X fans won't stop

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Hi
Your help please.
I bought an used MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X. It's in good shape, but the fans don't stop when it's in low usage, like surfing the web, which is a characteristic of this model. I've already installed MSI Afterburner to control the fans, but I can't change the values. The minimum value is 29!!? I don't understand much about this app. Can someone help me? The drivers are up to date and I've reinstalled Afterburner, but I always get the same result.
Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Buying used GPU means that you get it "as is" and there is 0 expectation for it to work as brand new.

It's in good shape, but the fans don't stop when it's in low usage, like surfing the web, which is a characteristic of this model. I've already installed MSI Afterburner to control the fans, but I can't change the values. The minimum value is 29!!?

Yes, MSI Gaming X GPUs do have Zero Frozr feature, stopping fans when GPU temp is below 60C. That is, as long as GPU has original BIOS/firmware.

What yours may have been, probably was used as mining GPU, with flashed mining BIOS on it, which will not let fans to stop.
You can look into ways of flashing GPU BIOS, in hopes of fixing it, with a risk that you can brick your GPU during BIOS flash.

All-in-all, if one doesn't want random issues with their hardware, they wouldn't buy used stuff, but instead brand new. But with used stuff, it having issues, is normal. This is compensated by the cheap price you payed for it.

My suggestion;
  • Either live with the quirk your GPU has, while comforting yourself with the idea that you bought it cheap,
  • Or buy brand new GPU, which doesn't have this issue, while paying full price of the GPU, as it is worth it. + You'd get warranty too with brand new GPU, whereby when issue(s) do arise, you have safety net in form of valid warranty.

Reactions: Inet

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Hi
Sorry for the late reply.
First of all, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, you are right. When we buy used hardware we always take risks. I was careful in the analysis of the GPU, but I forgot to analyze the VBIOS. Effectively the VBIOS was not the original one, but I have already replaced it with the original one and it is working as it should. Now the FANS stop below 60C. I've never done a VBIOS replacement before, but it's not too complicated either.
Thanks

Reactions: Aeacus