Question MSI H510I Pro WiFi won't POST, how to update BIOS if that's the problem ?

Jan 31, 2023
Just purchased an MSI H510I Pro WiFi, tried using i5-10400 and i5-11400f, neither will POST and the red cpu led on the board is solidly lit while power is on. no display, can't access BIOS.

Both CPU's are listed as compatible with this board. I've tried different PSU, Ram, M.2, all from a working system with no luck. all connections are good. can't get a display with or without
gpu. turning the power on turns the chasis fan and cpu fan on but nothing else. Need help with this one!
Also i suspected a bad motherboard so i ordered another one, same model, and stillthe same problem. I'm hoping its just a BIOS issue but if it is how can i update it?

Have you connected a cpu cooler, and is the cooler fan plugged into the cpu fan header?

Bios should not be relevant, both processors were supported with the initial bios release some two years ago.
New motherboard stock will have the most current bios available at the time of manufacture.

Jan 31, 2023
Yes, I’m using the stock cooler and it is plugged into cpu_fan1
Some things I’ve tried just to see what happens is powering on without 8 pin cpu connector connected, powering on with cpu not installed. Both of those yielded the exact same result I’ve been getting, both fans come on with red cpu led lit. Makes me thing it’s a power issue? Like the cpu isn’t getting power maybe? I’ve tried a 600w, a 650w, and a 750w, all known-good.
One more thing, it’s a new build with all new components, I’ve noticed that my power led on my power switch never lights up, even though it’s connected correctly every time

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023
I really appreciate the quick responses! The cpu went in easy every time, I’ve looked with a microscope at the pins on both boards multiple times and they all look good.

Jan 31, 2023
Update! Found out the 10400 cpu was bad! Tried what you said and nothing changed. Did it with both CPU’s installed. Cleared cmos with the 10400 installed still nothing. Disconnect psu, swapped in the 11400F and it POST! Shut down, put the 10400 back in and nothing again. Swapped the 11400F back in and once again it POST! Started a return on the 10400, gonna keep the 11400F in case something like this happens again but unfortunately I need a cpu with integrated graphics! Once again thanks for your help!