[SOLVED] msi laptop running 80-90 degrees Celsius idle

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
my msi gl65 95d runs 80-90 degrees when idle anyone got any idea why?
my cooler ofcourse starts to go full ham so thats not the issue

i know laptops run hot alot of the time but 80-90 degrees when idle sounds pretty crazy... this laptop even has a pretty good cooler in it

Solution
ive had the laptop for around 3-4 months now
its the cpu that ramps up to 70 degrees whilst the gpu is sitting at around 40 degrees
Okay it's not that long. What's the cpu usage during your idling? Make sure nothing is blocking the air vents. Try using a cooling pad. Run an antivirus and anti malware scan. Use a compressed air and blow it on the vents to clean out the dust. Repasting should be the last resort because it's quite complex for newbies. If your laptop is using intel based chip. Download throttlestop and undervolt it. You can search up on youtube on how to do it based on your cpu model

poorbugger

Distinguished
my msi gl65 95d runs 80-90 degrees when idle anyone got any idea why?
my cooler ofcourse starts to go full ham so thats not the issue

i know laptops run hot alot of the time but 80-90 degrees when idle sounds pretty crazy... this laptop even has a pretty good cooler in it
How long have you gotten it for? What's running 80 to 90? Cpu or gpu? Open up task manager and see the cpu usage and gpu usage during your idle.

poorbugger

Distinguished
ive had the laptop for around 3-4 months now
its the cpu that ramps up to 70 degrees whilst the gpu is sitting at around 40 degrees
Okay it's not that long. What's the cpu usage during your idling? Make sure nothing is blocking the air vents. Try using a cooling pad. Run an antivirus and anti malware scan. Use a compressed air and blow it on the vents to clean out the dust. Repasting should be the last resort because it's quite complex for newbies. If your laptop is using intel based chip. Download throttlestop and undervolt it. You can search up on youtube on how to do it based on your cpu model

Solution

MattRBX

Prominent
Oct 1, 2019
the cpu usage is at around 30% for some reason and there is nothing blocking the air vents
the cooling system is intake on bottom and exhaust in the back and left side of the laptop

i ran a virus scan and did find a few viruses that i then removed

and will undervolting not hurt my performance?

poorbugger

Distinguished
the cpu usage is at around 30% for some reason and there is nothing blocking the air vents
the cooling system is intake on bottom and exhaust in the back and left side of the laptop

i ran a virus scan and did find a few viruses that i then removed

and will undervolting not hurt my performance?
Undervolting will not hurt your performance whatsoever. It's harmless. Just make sure to follow youtube tutorials well. Also run malwarebytes as well.

Jul 9, 2020
Make sure you are not playing the games in the laptop while keeping it on the bed or mattress as the air intake is in the bottom so most probably your heat sink fan will suck dust from ur mattress or your bed .