Oct 7, 2019
Build is :
CPU:Ryzen 3 2200G
Mobo: MSI Bazooka b450m v2
Ram: 16gb
Graphics: on board

The question is whether or not can I get my system to display with a VGA cable. The Mobo doesn't have a VGA port but it has a DVI D dual link port.

Things that I tried:
Tried to use an adapter DVI D to VGA. FAILED
Tried to use VGA through my old gpu which is no longer updatable.Got it working with HDMI.The VGA display FAILED

Any ideas ?Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance guys. I want to use my old screen which only supports VGA if that can't be done well I need to buy a new one, but I want to be sure.

Oct 7, 2019
Does your system display at all? Have you tried using a HDMI or DVI to something else?

Are you certain the old VGA monitor works?

What sort of adapter did you try? You might need a DVID to VGA specific one such as https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-D-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00C93JQXS

The system displays fine but only with HDMI, both from the Mobo and GPU.I wasn't sure about the old monitor but I tried the VGA display of my current(that has both HDMI and VGA ports), It only worked with HDMI.I didn't try such an adapter(https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-D-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00C93JQXS).
The one I got was like this( https://www-konga-com-res.cloudinar...dia/catalog/product/D/A/158059_1566815878.jpg ).

Oct 7, 2019
That's a passive adapter and it is pretty much useless. For DVI-D to VGA you need an active adapter(like richie linked above) so it can convert the digital DVI-D signal to the analog VGA) signal.

Thanks for the commends guys.
So just to make things clear cause I may have confused you.
We have the on board graphics (my cpu-mobo), which supports according to their existing ports: DVID(dual chanel),HDMI

The old GPU that I use which supports: VGA,HDMI,DVI

My concern is that if it was only an adapter issue, I should be able to get a display using my VGA through my GPU(using only the VGA cable).But it doesnt seem to work.This fact made me think that the GPU may have a problem(although using an HDMI on it worked just fine) so I tried using a the adapter on the mobo.Still didnt work. Could it be just that it may not be supported by the CPU or Mobo or something?

You cant use integrated graphics and a graphics card at the same time. You will either have to use the ports on your graphics card or the ports on the mobo, you cant use both.

Yes there are work around people have discovered to use both integrated and gpus at the same time however they present all sorts of issues that out wight the usefulness.

Oct 7, 2019
You cant use integrated graphics and a graphics card at the same time. You will either have to use the ports on your graphics card or the ports on the mobo, you cant use both.

Yes there are work around people have discovered to use both integrated and gpus at the same time however they present all sorts of issues that out wight the usefulness.
I am aware of that and have turned the setting through the bios on , so as to use my GPU .What I want to do is find a path around the fact that my mobo doesnt have a vga port .And one of my tries was that my GPU had a VGA port as well as an HDMI .Although the HDMI works just fine the VGA didnt work.I have a new monitor that I am 100% sure that is working, apart from the old one.Thing is I cant get a display through VGA not even in that.I want to make sure that it is not a software issue before buying another adapter.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vga = analog.
Dvi-i = digital + analog, so that adapter would work for vga.
Dvi-d = digital only, so that adapter will not work for vga.

Passive adapters only change the connector, not the data format. Active adapters use s seperate power, and change not only the connector but also the data format.

So you'd need a powered active adapter to change dvi-d digital to vga analog signal.