MSI mobos - why underrated?

PinkJazzX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have noticed that it seems that MSI boards don't tend to get as good reviews as Asus and Gigabyte by hardcore gamers. Is there any particular reason why? While MSI boards do generally cost less than an Asus or Gigabyte boards with the same features, is there really any difference in quality? I just ordered an MSI P55-CD53, which I should get next week.

MSI make some good boards. I think their problem is they often have crippled low end boards compared to Asus or ASRock, and their high end boards don't always live up to their own hype. Then again what high end board does ^_^. I guess they aren't as consistent as Gigabyte or Asus when it comes to performance and value. You have to like their HAWK and Lightning Graphics cards though :D.

Since socket A, 754 and 939 I have had MSI boards on the AMD side of things, every review I read in those day's they where always in the top three for performance (OC).
My nforce4 Ultra socket 939 is still running just fine with a overclocked dual core opteron and currently a 8800GT five years later!

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
The reason MSI boards don't get good reviews is because they tend to have problems with low-quality MOSFETs or heat-sink mounting (or no heatsinks) used in their VRMs and therefore low-quality 4+1 phase power deliver. This makes them prone to immediate or at least premature failure when overclocked, or sometimes even when a high wattage CPU (125-140W) is run at stock.

Here is some good reading material on the subject:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/943109-why-vrms-big-issue-why-choose.html

It is worth noting, though, that with the introduction of their new 890FXA-GD65 this issue seems to have been solved and MSI is aware of the issue and will be taking it into account in their future models, though only time will tell.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

ASUS Currently has the Rampage III Thunderbolt Chipset with Xonar/K-NIC Fusion Add on Card!

Gigabyte has the patented dual bios and voltage regulator for Overclocking and Virus Problems or Errors with the Dual Bios Solution!

MSI has the LucidLogix Chip with its Miltary Class II mainboards with VirtuGPU software for Virtualization!

I prefer Gigabyte boards personally but my last purchase was a MSI P55A-GD55.
Been great so far no complaints.
Can't think of any other P55 x8x8 boards for $100.
Most reviews i've read for MSI boards put them right in the same level as their Asus and Gigabyte counterparts.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

ASUS Has seperated itself from the PACK! Has 52% Market Share followed BY MSI 20%-GIGABYTE 17%-ECS 13% not counting Intel! MSI is making a move by supposedly buying out ECS which Gives them a 33% Market Share they already bought Biostar!

Used to be everyone was around 10-15%! From Around 2001-2005!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

ASUS Has seperated itself from the PACK! Has 52% Market Share followed BY MSI 20%-GIGABYTE 17%-ECS 13% not counting Intel! MSI is making a move by supposedly buying out ECS which Gives them a 33% Market Share they already bought Biostar!

Used to be everyone was around 10-15%! From Around 2001-2005!

I tend to judge a MOBO by its performance, reliability, 'needed' features...and yes it's esthetics's.

My Rating order: 1. EVGA, 2. ASUS, 3. ASRock {ASUS}, 4. MSI ...... 5. Gigabyte.

When I think BIOSTAR I think a Lego's Case with Bambi <or> a Pink Case with Skull & Cross bones.

MSI is very good and offers good value, often that value detracts from performance. I have no negative feeling towards MSI, and since LGA 1155 release I have recommended MSI sometimes over ASUS.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Biostar mainboard were pretty cheap and good in terms of specs MSI bought them out! EVGA and Nvidia are Joined I Think! Asus to me is #1 with MSI! Gigapixel Looks #1 in Quality, (think its a Gigapixel/STB/3DFX spin off)! Invented the Dual/Quad Bios & Voltage Regulator on the Mainboard! ECS is good mainboards too, I think MSI was rumoured to be in the market to purchase them!

Personally market share means nothing to me.
I've owned plenty of boards over the years from different vendors with only one fatality which was an Asrock lol! no pun intended.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/01/28/asrock-third-largest-motherboard-maker/1

Last 3 builds, E6400, I5,750,and I3 (for wife) have all been Gigabyte - no problems, no regreats, would still select them (at there respective time frames). On reason is it bios.

For Z68 - Mind not made up yet, but probably be Asus/gigabyte - but not a given yet.
I'm a believer that the small cost differential is worth it in terms of the quality of parts installed.

I must admit, I have seen a crap load of failed ASUS P67's. It's very disheartening. Oddly, I rarely in the past have been telling OP's to flash, sometimes but rarely. However, now with the P67's I've been telling EVERYONE to flash to the latest before attaching HDD/SSD -- in other words straight of the box ==> Flash ... and then start building.

I haven't seen a bad MSI P67 yet, there's been a few bad Gigabytes ... but a crap load of ASUS with SATA issues. :(

I'm still wondering 'where in the hell' is EVGA P67's??!!