[SOLVED] MSI Motherboard VGA Debug Light First Boot

LocoMonoco

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I know there are countless posts about this similar subject (which really makes me think this problem is only exclusive to MSI mobos), but I know it isn't. Firstly, I'll start by saying that this is my first time building a PC in a good long while, so I have a generally good understanding of what I am doing yet there is also an aura of uncertainty.

So I just finished building my first build in a long time, and I go to power up the machine and all of the lights and fans work as they should. The lights and fans on the GPU work, the RGB lights on the motherboard work, the CPU cooler's fans and lights are all working, the case's fans and lights are all working, there is no beeps or anything that would initially signify an issue. However, the VGA light on the mobo's Ez debug is a solid red and I get a "No Signal" message on my monitor. I have been researching this issue all day, both on the internet and through reading the manual for my mobo, and it seems to be a GPU issue. I will go ahead and list all of the troubleshooting methods I've already done:

1. I've tried both of the PCI-e power cables for my GPU that came with my PSU
  2. I've tried reseating my GPU in the same PCI-e slot as I originally placed it AS WELL as the second PCI-e slot
  3. I've reset the CMOS battery through removal, the flash bios button on my rear I/O, and the CMOS reset jumper on the mobo
  4. I've tried only using one RAM stick and trying different slots, sometimes resulting in the DRAM light on the ez debug, but that one isn't the issue.
  5. I've tried booting the PC without the GPU installed at all, and I still get the VGA light (potentially due to the fact that the Ryzen 7 2700X doesn't have an onboard GPU but, I am unsure if this is true).
  6. I've tried removing all components except for the essentials (GPU, CPU, RAM) and still nothing.
  7. I've tried different HDMI and DisplayPort cords as well as different plugs on my monitor and GPU for each cord.

I've been lead to believe that either the mobo, the GPU, or the PSU are at fault here. However I don't have any spare components to test to rule any of these potential DOA parts out. The box for my mobo does say "AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 ready" as I've seen that mentioned a lot in other posts. I may potentially be able to test a different GPU from my friend's rig tomorrow but that comes down to his availability. I will go ahead a list my specs down below:

Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (2x16)
GPU: MSI Gaming X RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W 80 + Gold
Case: Phanteks Ethoo Evolv X ATX

If any other information is needed just let me know. Thanks for any help in advance.

Solution
Did you test this system outside of the case?

It does sound like it's a GPU, Board or PSU problem. You do have a nice PSU and it should be enough.

You will rarely see the two PCI-E slot not working. It can happen but the chance is slim unless the board is fried and nothing works.

I'd say GPU problem. Can you test that GPU in another system? That would help you greatly.

It does sound like it's a GPU, Board or PSU problem. You do have a nice PSU and it should be enough.

You will rarely see the two PCI-E slot not working. It can happen but the chance is slim unless the board is fried and nothing works.

I'd say GPU problem. Can you test that GPU in another system? That would help you greatly.

Solution

LocoMonoco

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Thanks for the quick response, I didn't expect it. I have not tried testing the system outside of the case, and I could see if I can try the GPU in a different rig to see if that's the problem. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow and give an update.

TRENDING THREADS