Jul 20, 2021
hey everyone i am new to this .
got a quick question i have a msi mpg x570 gaming edge wifi motherboard and have 2x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3600 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) BL8G36C16U4R also amd ryzen 7 3700x processor the problem i have is that it wont run to the desired 3600mhz have done the xmp and it still wont run at its speed.
can anyone help please with this???????
thank you in advance.

Solution
got a quick question i have a msi mpg x570 gaming edge wifi motherboard and have 2x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3600 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) BL8G36C16U4R also amd ryzen 7 3700x processor the problem i have is that it wont run to the desired 3600mhz have done the xmp and it still wont run at its speed.
thank you in advance.
When you return the kits consider, that your CPU officially supports up to 3200Mhz.
Not that 3600Mhz is unachievable but you will have to manually program your SPD manually in Bios. With no guarantee.

You have proven with what you have that there is no XMP profile for easy Overclocking but you may have a profile at 3200Mhz that will...
Jul 20, 2021
thank you for answering
what i have is two DDR4 BL8G36C16U4R.M8FE1 it said that they were compatible but still cant get them to run at 3600mhz do you know RAM that will work at 3600mhz with xmp?

thank you in advance.
When you return the kits consider, that your CPU officially supports up to 3200Mhz.
Not that 3600Mhz is unachievable but you will have to manually program your SPD manually in Bios. With no guarantee.

You have proven with what you have that there is no XMP profile for easy Overclocking but you may have a profile at 3200Mhz that will work well with your CPU. Choose a single kit (2x8) at the frequency your MB and CPU supports and selected from your MB QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.

Should you wish a recommendation for a good kit then just ask.

Last edited:
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
What @rgd1101 is saying is this, broken down.

First you have your QVL list which is the nod from the motherboard manufacturer that the specific listed kits SHOULD (that is important) work at it's listed speed with the board.
Additionally to this RAM kits are sold as single, pairs, and even quad kits. In this case it's the RAM manufacturer giving the nod that those sticks SHOULD (that is important) work at it's rated "XMP" speed, together.

This is not a guarantee. You increase your likelihood by following the above parameters.

So, return those, get a kit, try again. -OR- consider downloading a program such as CPUz to check the various timings shown on the table there for JDEC/XMP (etc.) and see if you can manually tune and time them in. In some cases in addition to timing, you might have to make slight voltage adjustments. If you OC the CPU at all, everything changes due to the motherboards design in regard to power delivery across the VRMs.

Reactions: MeanMachine41
MeanMachine41
please recommend a good kit for my rig please
listen guys thank you for answering my problem it is much appreciated (y)

The kits I recommend are all proven to work with your motherboard and CPU.

* Team T-Force XTREEM 16GB (2 x 8GB)
TXD416G3866HC18EDC01

* G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600
F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX

* G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2X8)
F4-3600C17D-16GTZR

The selection are 3600Mhz which are OC RAM. It may be necessary to key in Timings and Voltage manually in Bios. Not all RAM have OC profiles for easy overclocking.

Jul 20, 2021
MeanMachine41 thank you so much for the quick reply i am not very big into overclocking as i have no real reason to overclock. do you think it would be better for me to go with 3200mhz instead?? if so what would you recommend as there is a lot of conflicting information on the net.

When deciding between RAM of different clock speeds, the RAM with the higher clock speed is superior; but when choosing between RAM of identical clock speeds, the RAM with lower CAS latency is faster. Both are important for performance and it costs more to have high frequency and low CL.
For example: In benchmarks a 3200Mhz RAM with CL14 would perform better than RAM with 3600Mhz with CL18 and less guarantee you would achieve the rated 3600Mhz. It depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) as to what frequency you will achieve.

It's up to you and how enthusiastic you want an Overclock. However bear this in mind that if your CPU is rated for 3600Mhz and higher, it may require you to manually program the Timings and voltage in Bios.

Here you need to have knowledge of what Timings are all about as there are Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Timings. The higher the frequency the more complex it becomes and believe me it's like rocket science to understand the more you delve into it. Understanding the basic Primary timings is enough for most Overclockers.

I suggest you look at and study your MB QVL and decide for yourself what RAM (if what I suggest is not what you want) and choose the speed, CL, Size and Brand. That's the way to go.

And when it comes to Gaming and most apps the difference is negligible regarding FPS.

Last edited: