Question MSI MPG Z390 Carbon Pro Gaming no BIOS/POST after BIOS update

Mar 18, 2019
Hello.

I assembled my computer and it worked perfectly for a few hours. Then I wanted to update my drivers and the BIOS.
I used MSI Dragon Center and I followed the manual that came with the motherboard to the letter.
After some time, the computer shut down (NOT a power outage!) and it was supposed to restart, but it never did. I waited for a few hours, and it still didn't turn on by itself.
I then powered up my computer, and now it doesn't load the BIOS or my operating system.
The CPU onboard LED flashes and then the RAM LED flash, and then nothing happens. No BIOS or POST. The light above the RAM sticks light up, showing that the motherboard recognizes my RAM.
I tried my RAM (completely new, same running hours as the new motherboard and new CPU) in my friends computer. Worked perfectly. I tried his RAM in my computer. Nothing happened.
Then I tried to remove the CMOS battery, wait 10 minutes and put it back in. Nothing happened.
How can I get my motherboard working again?

Mar 18, 2019
Well.. if it shut down during the bios update, it could've bricked the mother board, usually bios updating will restart the pc for a few times and then it should be good to go.
Exactly, but, in case it shut down and is now bricked, what to do? I don't see how I'm at fault here, that's why I'm seeking advice here.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well if a motherboard is bricked it is not much more useful that throwing it at someone to be honest, you could not be at fault but MSI could charge you and held you responsible for that for some reason, seen a lot of cases like these.
Don't really know what do recommend anymore, other members will help you with this goodluck!

Reactions: KennethAndersen0

BringerOfTea

Reputable
Hi Fellow Scandinavian.

From what I could gather from this excerpt
"CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.
DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.
VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.
BOOT - indicates the booting device is not detected
or fail.

DIMM LEDs
These LED indicate the memory modules are installed."

Also, the troubleshooting from the manual does basically say that reset CMOS. If this does not help you should probably RMA it.

Mar 18, 2019
Hi Fellow Scandinavian.

From what I could gather from this excerpt
"CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.
DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.
VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.
BOOT - indicates the booting device is not detected
or fail.

DIMM LEDs
These LED indicate the memory modules are installed."

Also, the troubleshooting from the manual does basically say that reset CMOS. If this does not help you should probably RMA it.

Exactly. The RAM lights as if it's working, but nothing happens. I stripped it, so it's only CPU, MB and RAM, and nothing works. But I'm not sure where I should RMA it at? The retailer that sold me the board?