Review MSI Pro B660M-A DDR4 Motherboard Review: Pro Board on a Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
It's interesting how much difference motherboards make to both performance and power consumption. There's a 35% difference in system power draw from top to bottom in that power chart.

Co BIY

Splendid
Great review. I think Raptor Lake will benefit from having these low end boards appropriate to the lower end chips available at release. Alder Lake was hampered by only very high priced premium Z-series boards being available. Hopefully the needed BIOS updates will be quickly available.

What does this board do that allows for superior performance in the Office and Excel tests? It's beating the top Aorus/Hero/Taichi boards in these tests. I would expect these results to follow the others or at least be even across the boards. It's like a Toyota Camry actually handled a daily commute faster than a Corvette.

Edit note: [QUOTE Starting with PCIe, MSI fused three full-length slots to the board and one closed-end x1 size slot. ][/QUOTE]

I think that is meant to be two full-length slots.

Reactions: Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
I think Raptor Lake will benefit from having these low end boards. It's like a Toyota Camry actually handled a daily commute faster than a Corvette.

Good Point…Toyota Camry qualified! If I could only convince my girlfriend in giving-up her 5-year old HP laptop, I would consider this kind of ‘economy class’ MB in building her a new daily driver. Going from her HDD 5200RPM to NVME! After all her laptop never leaves her one-room apartment and she has steadily refused for me in offering her new 27-inch monitor for the bigger picture. Her Corvette upside: “She can walk that walk and talk that talk and has other attributes which are uniquely visible.

toooooot

Prominent
Aug 2, 2022
Good Point…Toyota Camry qualified! If I could only convince my girlfriend in giving-up her 5-year old HP laptop, I would consider this kind of ‘economy class’ MB in building her a new daily driver. Going from her HDD 5200RPM to NVME! After all her laptop never leaves her one-room apartment and she has steadily refused for me in offering her new 27-inch monitor for the bigger picture. Her Corvette upside: “She can walk that walk and talk that talk and has other attributes which are uniquely visible.
I used to have a 6 yo HP laptop. I loved that huge bulky baby.
I did not use it often but sometimes I did. It looked so well that I did not have a problem selling it
for good money.
I think when you use a laptop all your life, you nevr know how comfy a PC feels at home.

Reactions: Tom Sunday
Status
Not open for further replies.