MSI R9 290X Freezing PC

tonematrix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Hi all,

I recently purchased an MSI R9 290X GPU and have encountered numerous amounts of freezing and random BSOD's.

I have tried reinstalling drivers using DDU and found that the 14.12 drivers are fairly unstable for me. I am currently using 14.4 and the freezing seems to happen less often but still happens. Sometimes I can play a game for a good couple of hours and nothing but I'll go onto Youtube or something and it just freezes solid and all I can do is hard reset.

My specs are as follows;

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 850 @ 3.30GHz
GPU: MSI R9 290X
PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Nothing is overclocked and has never been. I've heard that blue screen view is often wrong but it simply says that it the BSOD's are caused by a kernel panic.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Hi there. Unfortunately AMD R9 290s and I think 280s + 270s are incompatible with motherboards in the AMD 700 & 800 series chipsets (yours is 760). AMD fail to mention this anywhere when it comes to system requirements and the same with all aftermarket brands. The fact that they refuse to acknowledge this or tell anyone is incredibly annoying and I hope they get sued over this especially when lots of motherboards are no longer supported.

Luckily for you your motherboard has new bios that was released in 2014 so it should be compatible once you flash it.

http://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_Download/

That should be your mobo. Go there and update the chipset drivers and flash to the new bios and hopefully it should...

pon raul

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi there. Unfortunately AMD R9 290s and I think 280s + 270s are incompatible with motherboards in the AMD 700 & 800 series chipsets (yours is 760). AMD fail to mention this anywhere when it comes to system requirements and the same with all aftermarket brands. The fact that they refuse to acknowledge this or tell anyone is incredibly annoying and I hope they get sued over this especially when lots of motherboards are no longer supported.

Luckily for you your motherboard has new bios that was released in 2014 so it should be compatible once you flash it.

http://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_Download/

That should be your mobo. Go there and update the chipset drivers and flash to the new bios and hopefully it should work. If not return the card or get a new motherboard.

Good luck :)

Solution

tonematrix

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for the reply but I have since got the card to work flawlessly...

I simply updated the BIOS and overclocked the PCI-e slot to 140. I am using the latest drivers too.

Apologies, I should have closed the thread a while back with a solution. Whoops! :p

guppy44

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

I'm having the exact same problem OP had. I recently bought an r9 290x Lightning and put it in my ASUS m4a88td-v motherboard. It hard freezes frequently requiring several resets a day. I have the 880G chipset and have heard several other people saying 290 GPUs and this motherboard were hard freezing their pcs as well. I have the latest bios (2012) and have overclocked the PCI-e slot to 140-150 MHz with no luck. Looks like it's time for a new motherboard.