MSI Releasing Cedar Trail-Based Netbook, the Wind U180

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
lol lots of netbook haters here.... I would rather buy this than a macbook that cost 3 times as much or a overpriced tablet that only runs a mobile OS. Not to mention they are light, take up little space, and generally do 95% of everything needed(if you can deal with the horrible resolution).

Does the Cedar with new Intel graphics support HD playback? I know my atom can't....

The new Atom is a great processor, capping out at 2GB of Ram, and such a low res monitor is what is really going to kill this product, especially with the res restrictions on win8.
I would love to have one of these new Atoms with a slightly higher res monitor and 4GB of Ram paired with an SSD :)

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I think this is a complete waste of Earth's resource...
The resource doesn't even make sense, why would someone put a 512GB SSD or Blu-ray burner or even both into this thing? 512 SSD, the CPU is too slow to process anything close to the rate of which the SSD is doing. Blu-ray burner, you serious? With 10/100 ethernet and a display resolution of 1024x600, what the hell would you need a blu-ray burner?
Is this a joke to provoke people?

G

Um, the SSD isn't close to the CPU speed. Do people even know what they are talking about? It is an ATOM so battery life is what this form factor is all about. It is about people who want to stay unplugged all day since they are mobile but need a lot more power and functionality than what is available in a tablet. The new ATOMs are better in the HD playback department but are you really doing a lot of that on a 10" or 13" screen? Really? The nice thing about it is that it doesn't need the nVidia ION anymore which was a battery guzzler. I'll be getting one just to have a truly mobile computing platform that does actual computing. Zacate is good as well, just not as efficient. Can't go wrong with either of them IMO. Zacate for more power and ATOM to stay unplugged longer.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
The practical uses behind netbooks is astounding. Even for an enthusiast like myself. But you guys are using it out of context. Comparing it to higher end systems that are significantly larger is simply stupid, plain and simple. But there are other applications as well that make it more than ideal.

Say you already have a custom built, Core i series desktop at home. However, you need to go on the road. Well, with some applications like TeamViewer or other programs you can easily pack up your netbook and bring it with you, and connect to your home PC anywhere where there is internet. That would be why I'd want it. Sure, you can't go above and beyond but it still offers a lightweight, low power option to expand your computing experience. Until phones are able to allow you to completely interact with your Windows based machine wirelessly, this is a decent option while still being a computer in itself. The problem you're all having is reviewing it in the light it's supposed to be reviewed in.

Comparing this to a laptop is, for lack of a better word, stupid. A lot of laptops now are still clunky, hard to actually use on the go because of the outrageous size unless you're willing to pay out the butt.

So for the price, what it offers, and it's realistic implementations, netbooks are decent. Everyone needs to get off their high horse and stop acting like idiots. I'd barely even call you guys users, you're acting like mindless "my pride is my computers processing power!" drones.

corpsbeginners

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
lol! someone just made a point to these laptop haters... yeah i have a notebook, netbook and a desktop.. but netbook is great on the road.

mr_wobbles

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I dont like the laptop haters because my only option is a Notebook. I live on the move, but want power so I got a D.T.R. Not everybody needs a 750w Compensator Desktop to play ANY game in existance.

corpsbeginners

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I traveled often to the other side of the world. and i Cant see anyone hauling their desktop in the airport. every where i looked i saw tablets, notebooks, netbooks. these gadget are made for business and work, not for idle games.
I am a gamer too, i play sc2,cod in my lappy in high settings. so am i missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.