Discussion MSI replaced my faulty GPU with another faulty one ?

Jul 7, 2024
Basically, my new pc was working fine for 3 months until my GPU (MSI Ventus 2x RTX 4070) stopped giving signal and I noticed I had a white VGA LED on my motherboard. After trying everything i could to fix it i eventually called the place i bought it from and they said to take it in for return which i did and then they identified it as faulty and replaced it for me.

Now I’m with the replacement, 3 days later same issue pops up. No signal. This time I saw it die. Screen went black out of nowhere while I was on Rocket League.

But what's different this time is it will work if I use something to stop it from sagging it works if it’s at the right level. It’s not really that big of a GPU and isn't sagging much but somehow this fixes it. If I level it a bit too little it’ll post but there will be green artifacts everywhere, if it’s just right it’ll work mostly fine. I say mostly because earlier God of war froze and my entire pc was unusable, and Spider-man remastered failed to boot twice and green artifacts appeared when doing so. So mix of green artifacts, full system freezes, and grey artifacts sometimes no display, all appear with this "new" replacement gpu after 3 days of use

I saw someone else post similar issues with getting a faulty replacement and having the same no display issue. Think its best to steer clear from MSI from now on. Just thought id post this around so more people can know and see this is reoccuring at MSI.

Gonna see if i can get a new gpu that actually functions through warranty for a third time. Wish me luck

July 7, 2024

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2024
What make/model PSU are you using?
MSI mag a750gl. Everything in my system worked previously whenever i took the gpu out and used the igpu. forgot to mention that, same with this replacement gpu as long as i level it the right way with a anti sag bracket. Originally worked with no issues until 3 months later then it all begun

Last edited:

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Yes, and no damage. Same issues happen in another slot and in another system
If that is the case then you could have been very unlucky with 2 GPUs having the same issue.

I would make a note of the serial number of the gpu before the RMA to make sure there are no shenanigans going on.

Could you list your full system specs just for reference including age of PSU.

Jul 7, 2024
If that is the case then you could have been very unlucky with 2 GPUs having the same issue.

I would make a note of the serial number of the gpu before the RMA to make sure there are no shenanigans going on.

Could you list your full system specs just for reference including age of PSU.
Sure thing, ill copy and paste it from my notes
i7- 13700k
RTX 4070 msi ventus edition 2x
32gb kingston fury beast ddr5 5600mhz ram
MSI Pro z790-p motherboard
samsung 980 pro 1tb ssd + teamgroup 2tb ssd
Thermalright Aqua elite 360v3 aio
MSI Mag 750w gold psu
Corsair 4000d case
Had all these parts for about 3-4 months. This is a pretty fresh build

i think i may have gotten extremely unlucky, though back to back with these gpus having a short healthy lifespan is strange. Will def make a note of the serial number

But what's different this time is it will work if I use something to stop it from sagging it works if it’s at the right level. It’s not really that big of a GPU and isn't sagging much but somehow this fixes it. If I level it a bit too little it’ll post but there will be green artifacts everywhere,

Gonna see if i can get a new gpu that actually functions through warranty for a third time. Wish me luck
Yeah this is not an issue with the GPU but an issue with your PCI slot...
The card can get damaged when powered while the pins aren't all touching correctly, it can arc electricity and cause damage, so testing the damaged GPU ,after it gets damaged, on a different slot and or system is useless.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Yeah this is not an issue with the GPU but an issue with your PCI slot...
The card can get damaged when powered while the pins aren't all touching correctly, it can arc electricity and cause damage, so testing the damaged GPU ,after it gets damaged, on a different slot and or system is useless.
This was my first thought due to 2 GPUs having the same issue. The MSI 2x ventus cards are not very big or heavy at all though so the flex / sag does surprise me. I have used a 2070 super version for a while and whilst they are a budget offering the card was pretty rigid. Maybe some Corners have been cut on the 40 series?

A photo of the card in situ would be interesting to see for reference

Jul 7, 2024
This was my first thought due to 2 GPUs having the same issue. The MSI 2x ventus cards are not very big or heavy at all though so the flex / sag does surprise me. I have used a 2070 super version for a while and whilst they are a budget offering the card was pretty rigid. Maybe some Corners have been cut on the 40 series?

A photo of the card in situ would be interesting to see for reference
for a update, its not exactly the same issue since this new gpu can get a display now most of the time just with either artifacts or random crashes. Sometimes i can get it running for 2+ hours without any issues at all. it even works without a anti sag bracket unsure if that changed anything in the first place or it just coincidentally ran mostly fine when i installed the bracket. I have noticed the card isn't straight, its got a small but noticeable "bend" to it from the right side going down even out of the build i can see it. Unsure if maybe that is causing the issue.

ive been letting my pc run using a spare gtx 1650 i have that i know works without issues. Gonna see if that stays fine so far its gone strong for about a day. Ill post photos once i can of everything