MSI Responds to GTX 660 Ti, 670 Power Edition Overvolting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]I've got an XFX 4850 in one box that's still running strong.[/citation]
I've got an XFX 4830 that cannot overclock more than a tiny amount. With that heatsink, it's more than a little disappointing. :S

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Personally this kind of thing will get me not to buy MSI GPU next time around. My issue is this I buy hardware and yes I may overclock it but I don't overvolt it and I keep temps under control. And I want my card to last till my system is well, dead and useless which is when I replace it or when I feel like it. Which chances are will be well beyond the 3year warrenty.

Guess next time I might just go EVGA I hear good things about them. My MSI 8800gts card had to be replace, no big deal they replaced it under warrenty without hassle as it was under the 3year mark a few years ago so I don't hold that against them. But this kind of stunt to get a performance edge I will hold against them.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
"...we’ve worked with NVIDIA to ensure that new production models will limit this free overclock boost you currently get..."
translation: @consumer: You are bunch of idiots that complain about the current free boost you get from our cards.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]EvanConway[/nom]Overvolting will shorten the lifespan of any electrical component. I'll be hesitant to buy MSI in the future with this underhanded behavior.[/citation]

whilei agree i woudl say as long as they are honoring hier 3 year warrenty as claimed then i don't see the problem, i can't think of a time i have kept a graphics card for more than 4 or 5 years and at the rate things are going even my 2 year old sli'd gts 450's are soon to find thier way into htpc's.. or more likely just into the parts bin, to be replaced with something mroe powerful and more efficient

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]technoholic[/nom]"...we’ve worked with NVIDIA to ensure that new production models will limit this free overclock boost you currently get..."translation: @consumer: You are bunch of idiots that complain about the current free boost you get from our cards.[/citation]
It's like saying consumers don't like free stuff. Well, we do, just not the sort that appears following an RMA.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
MSi RMA process is a joke, going through it right now (motherboard).
I have sent emails and faxes trying to get a status update because the web-site hasn't updated in 4 days.
finally an update this morning after another complaint.

3 year warranty but a month long wait on RMA because it popped from (factory altered) volting...
*sigh*

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
In other news: MSI becomes a major shareholder in UPS
(not really)

Warranties are nice, but if you have to pay to ship it back, it's going to be expensive and annoying. Considering some are already allegedly having problems from this change, I wouldn't count standing behind the warranty as much of a gesture.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]djscribbles[/nom]In other news: MSI becomes a major shareholder in UPS (not really)Warranties are nice, but if you have to pay to ship it back, it's going to be expensive and annoying. Considering some are already allegedly having problems from this change, I wouldn't count standing behind the warranty as much of a gesture.[/citation]

I rma'd MSI a mobo and rma'd an xbox as well as a evega graphics card... each time i got them to pay for shipping, msi and evega gave me a printing label for ups and m$ sent me a box... you just have to call and complain and specifically ask them to cover shipping

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I rma'd MSI a mobo and rma'd an xbox as well as a evega graphics card... each time i got them to pay for shipping, msi and evega gave me a printing label for ups and m$ sent me a box... you just have to call and complain and specifically ask them to cover shipping[/citation]

Actually the new EVGA warranties do not cover shipping under the new regular warranties. In order to get free shipping you have to pay a 29.99$ fee upfront per graphics card for "Free shipping" during the warranty process. I couldn't believe that it would cost over 100$ per card to get a 8 year warranty with free shipping from EVGA when I registered my cards the last week.

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
[citation][nom]proffet[/nom]MSi RMA process is a joke, going through it right now (motherboard).I have sent emails and faxes trying to get a status update because the web-site hasn't updated in 4 days.finally an update this morning after another complaint.3 year warranty but a month long wait on RMA because it popped from (factory altered) volting...*sigh*[/citation]

I went through the same thing when i RMAed my Mobo. The only way to get an update is to call, and they often tell you "you have to wait 10 business days for an update"

silgol

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
All this comment is nonsense, I like playing Battlefield and a lot off different other games. I purchase every 1 to 1,5 years a new graphic card. Mostly MSI. Of-coarse sometimes a card is after 9 month defect or 2 years, but I always got another under guarantee. If you want to run, sometimes you fall. Just stand up purchase another card and run again. Who of the real gamers has a 2 year old card???? Not my friends. Motherboards is another thing, mostly 3 to 4 years, like pro's. I've a card is older than 2.5 years it's called OLD and time too replace.

I personally don't buy MSI since their GPUs are often priced quite a bit higher than the competition, but I would think the higher and longer lasting GPU boost would be a good thing.

[citation][nom]silgol[/nom]All this comment is nonsense, I like playing Battlefield and a lot off different other games. I purchase every 1 to 1,5 years a new graphic card. Mostly MSI. Of-coarse sometimes a card is after 9 month defect or 2 years, but I always got another under guarantee. If you want to run, sometimes you fall. Just stand up purchase another card and run again. Who of the real gamers has a 2 year old card???? Not my friends. Motherboards is another thing, mostly 3 to 4 years, like pro's. I've a card is older than 2.5 years it's called OLD and time too replace.[/citation]

Not everyone wants, or can afford to, upgrade every 2 years.

DigitalMenace

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
If you don't want the "risk" of having to RMA a factory over volted card, then simply don't buy it. It's very basic logic.

However, just like Intel, they get the best bins, then unlock or overclock them. The other bins go to lesser cards. It happens in both the CPU and GPU worlds; hell, even RAM is tested that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.