[SOLVED] MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X Fan issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 1, 2020
Hey Guys,

so I just bought an MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X via Ebay a Week ago. Whenever I start a game the game crashes even before I reach the main menu (Fallout 4, Anno 1800, Total War Shogun, Attila, Medieval II, Cities Skylines etc.) because the card is overheating. I get a greenscreen and the PC restarts after a few seconds. When restarted the monitor stays black. Only when i restart manually the monitor works again. So my current diagnostics are, that the fans just won´t start spinning at all when the card gets hot. BUT only while gaming. When I use benchmark Software (Userbenchmark, 3DMark) everything works fine oO. Also when installing Adrenalin for the first time i could deactivate the 0rpm mode in the performance section. that worked but when restarting the PC the fans dont spin, AND when trying to start Adrenalin i get a greenscreen and the PC restarts. This is just so random....

I tried to manipulate the fan curve in Adrenalin, didnt work, I installed the drivers without the software, still doesnt help, I set a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, nothing happens. Even when i set the fans manually to 100% they still rest, so MSI Afterburner, doesnt do anything.

I really tried to find a solution to this but now i am out of ideas... I searched the heck out of Google but nothing out there fixed my issue.

Fun fact: Before updating to 20.2.2 I had the same issue but in reverse. When gaming the fans worked, when benchmarking they didnt. (wth?)

Kudos and kisses for any help. :*

Dont hurt my feelings because of my grammar, I`am german.

My Setup:

MSI B450m Mortar Titanium (also have an ASRock Z270m extreme4. Same issues)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X Driver Version: 20.2.2
Mars Gaming MPB750 750W PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)

Solution
[/QUOTE]
I did like 5 Fresh reinstalls of Windows since I have the card. :/

Yeah I would just return it at this point. You got it from ebay and they have pretty good buyer protection. If you are still interested in getting a 5700xt I would get a different brand, and avoid the ASUS Strix as well. Gigabyte has always treated me well regardless of AMD or INVIDA

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
DUUUUDE! Believe it or not, it was the PSU! Even after changing the drivers, i still randomly got some crashes. Now after mounting the New PSU everything works fine. Since a week now no crashes. I let a friend of mine, who is an Electrician, check the PSU and he just discovered that the PSU wasn't able to cover Peak Energy requests from my System. Even that the PSU had 750 W Power output... Never thought that the fault could be there...

Don't know if anybody still cares but had to write this. 😅

Well, I'm definitely glad to hear that the problem is resolved. And glad you let us know what it was.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of PSUs out there that do not live up to their advertised power specs. It's a shake that some of them are even allowed on the market

Mar 1, 2020
I am going to dump my Card.... CRASHES JUST STARTED AGAIN! This is wat WhoCrashed spit out:

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Thu 12.03.2020 23:50:11 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031220-5718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x8DD3C7)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE302C51E68C8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Seems like its not the drivers but the Graphics Card itself... I mean WhoCrashed would identify it, when it would be the drivers, wouldn`t it?... Also I recognized that after installing Adrenalin (first time i got a GreenScreen when running Adrenalin for the first time) when i disable 0rpm Mode it will get saved. Even after restarting 0rpm Mode stays disabled. BUT after crashing the Global settings in Adrenalin getresetted and 0rpm mode gets enabled again...

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Return it if you can. The last time I was getting blue screens (kernal related) was way before I had my 5700xt. I did MEM tests, removed all kinds of programs in safe mode. Nothing I did helped. The only way I was able to resolve my blue screens was by re-formatting and doing a fresh windows install. I mean... you have made it this far and I think that's the only thing you have not tried, but I can understand if you don't want to go through the hastle. Then again if you have not done a fresh install in the past two years it would be a good idea regardless.

Reactions: Chukhan
Mar 1, 2020
Return it if you can. The last time I was getting blue screens (kernal related) was way before I had my 5700xt. I did MEM tests, removed all kinds of programs in safe mode. Nothing I did helped. The only way I was able to resolve my blue screens was by re-formatting and doing a fresh windows install. I mean... you have made it this far and I think that's the only thing you have not tried, but I can understand if you don't want to go through the hastle. Then again if you have not done a fresh install in the past two years it would be a good idea regardless.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would just return it at this point. You got it from ebay and they have pretty good buyer protection. If you are still interested in getting a 5700xt I would get a different brand, and avoid the ASUS Strix as well. Gigabyte has always treated me well regardless of AMD or INVIDA

Solution